From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI VS DLL

I am working on a temperature control system which is around 10000 lines of code. simultaneously, I am using LabVIEW to simulate it and eventually test it (e.g. test the simulated hardware by monitoring how do they respond to a given variables like voltage and current). My question is, which one is recommended to use DLL or CVI? ( the project is expected to be done in a timeframe of two months).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(817 Views)

I must admit that I didn't understand what you are aiming to.

How are you developing the system and which part of it are you interested into? CVI can either produce a standalone executable or a DLL to be called by another developing framework, so you should clarify your scenario in order to discuss about the best solution to your needs.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(785 Views)

Thanks for your reply,

The main idea is to test an embedded system using LabVIEW without running the code in the real hardware. To do that I need to simulate the behavior of the system components(sensors, compressor, dual fan). In my project directory, I have most of my system components in a HAL package and developed using Actor framework, each component is a single actor which can send and receive messages (Could be a sensor value, duty cycle value or an on/off state). I am using LabView signal express module to generate simulated input signals that mimic real world conditions. The next step is to execute the C code of my embedded system. My question is to do this is it better to use DLL or CVI? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(757 Views)

Your question if you should use CVI or DLL is in a way similar to asking if you should use a car or fuel to go somewhere. CVI can generate DLLs but is simply another IDE environment similar to LabVIEW but where you program in C instead of graphical icons and wires.

Most likely your embedded system is not even running Windows, in which case the term DLL is technically wrong, you would need shared libraries instead, which is the more generic name for dynamically called libraries. And on Linux, shared libraries is also the technical term for these things.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(640 Views)

thanks for the clarification, I was new to LabVIEW, so most concepts are still vague to me. I had the idea to model my compressor in LabVIEW and use shared libraries to test non hardware-specific functionalities.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(634 Views)