From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI Application using Distribution Kit when installed on other machines doesn't work

I have MAX installed on the machine that I want to distribute the application (utilizing Distribution Kit) and the CVI RunTime Engine defintely installed. The only options Data Socket I left if needed which I am not using Data Sockets the only hardware interface I am using is serial.

The application installs and runs and when I start acquiring measurements from the module I get some Dialog Error with a message that is in asc string which makes no sense.

I have tried distributing to 2 different machines but got the same result. All of the 3 machines are Windows XP and CVI compiler is 6.0.

thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,010 Views)
Hello,

What kind of function calls are you using in your application? You mentioned you are doing serial communication, but if you are using function from CVI toolkits, you may need to take special considerations when distributing you application. Also, could you include a screenshot of the error message you are receiving?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,002 Views)
The example is just an FieldPoint Analog Input logging example I downloaded from NI so no funny function calls that I am aware of from toolkits or anything. The only thing I see that might be the problem is my MAX on the machine I am distributing to has CVI Runtime Enginer ver 7xx and my compiler machine has 6xx???? I have attached a print screen and when you see the UIR with the Error message once you hit OK the application exits.

thanks,
John.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,996 Views)
Hello John,

First I would make sure you can communicate with your modules in MAX on the deployed machines. Also, I would check that the resource name of the module you are trying to connect to is the same between you development and other machines. If you hardcode the resource name in your code and that resource name changes from computer to computer, then you can get unexpected results. Also, do you have the most recent Fieldpoint drivers on your other machines? I suspect the problem doesn't lie on the CVI side, but on the Fieldpoint side since the error appears when you try to acquire data from your module.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,961 Views)
Hi Wendy,

Yes, I can run MAX and read temperatures from my FP-TC-120 just fine on any of the 3 machines. My resources are the same "FP @ COM1" "FP-TC-120 @1" on all of the 3 machines. The field point driver is older on the compiler machine that the machine I am attempting to distribute. I will try to upgrade that although since it works in MAX on both I don't believe that is the problem. The application FP AI Logging does require the ALL to be configured and it utilizes the last *.iak file that was saved I am starting to think the problem may be some incompatibilities there?

thanks,
John Schafer.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,952 Views)
Hi John,

The CVI runtime engine is backwards compatible so your machine that have the 7.0 runtime engine should have no problems opening and running an application built with the CVI 6.0 runtime engine. Regarding the Fieldpoint drivers, as you suggested, I would make sure that you have the same version on both machines.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,935 Views)