From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CVI 2019

Although not yet announced here in the forum, CVI 2019 has been released. I installed it on my office computer and wanted to share my experience with you and NI:

Installation:

I was unhappy about the installation process for two reasons:

1. the installation routine installs VISA, PXI platform support and other “options” even though they have been deselected
  2. nine (!) users are added to the system (I recall my wish for a reduced and better documented number of NI services in the CVI idea exchange – the new version looks like counteracting this). Now, besides user Wolfgang there are the user directories lkClassAds, lkClassads.NT Service, lkClassads.NT Service.000, niLXIDiscovery, niLXIDiscovery.NT Service, niLXIDiscovery.NT Service.000, niroco, niroco.NT Service, niroco.NT Service.000)

New or changed features:

• I do like the improved / new editor, especially the line modification marks, the build diagnostics indicator, the improved tooltips and the ability to remove trailing whitespaces.
  • I do not like so much the idea that it is not possible to turn off the indentation guidelines or change their color. I am also not so much convinced about the behaviour of the backspace key when editing code, now the key does not delete one white space to the left but more in order to match the previous indentation guideline, so one backspace can result in two, three or four deleted characters, this means that if I want to delete one space then after deletion I have to retype three spaces extra…
  • the print dialogue has been changed, now lines are wrapped in the printout even if they are not wrapped in the source file; also, the font size cannot be changed anymore. As a result, printing source code from CVI for me now is pretty much useless, for printing I have to use a different editor (Notepad ++)
Message 1 of 13
(6,082 Views)

I've installed it too. I failed to find an offline installer and don't much like the NI package manager.

Haven't tried it yet as our license has not been updated. It seems a little too coinicidental that I am now have trouble with the license for LWCVI 2017, I need to contact our license administrator to get to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(6,061 Views)

I partecipated to the beta program and now I installed CVI 2019.

Sadly, I must say that I'm really unhappy of this new release: after a couple of years the only new features are in the editor itself.

I don't say they're useless, but the editor is not so important for me.

No upgrade to the clang compiler, no update to Windows Kit 10, despite over several product suggestions in the Idea Exchange Forum.

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
Message 3 of 13
(6,042 Views)

@Wolfgang wrote:
  • I do not like so much the idea that it is not possible to turn off the indentation guidelines or change their color.

Note that there is an option under "Editor Preferences" called "Show indentation guides". Unchecking that option enables you to turn off the indentation guidelines.

Message 4 of 13
(6,033 Views)

@catalincocis wrote:

@Wolfgang wrote:
  • I do not like so much the idea that it is not possible to turn off the indentation guidelines or change their color.

Note that you have an option under "Editor Preferences" called "Show indentation guides". Unchecking that option enables you to turn off the indentation guidelines.

Thanks - I had asked for that during beta but had not received an answer - good that it has been implemented, thanks for pointing me to the location of this option.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(6,028 Views)

@PlumbBob wrote:

I've installed it too. I failed to find an offline installer

Hi @PlumbBob - Note that you can find an offline installer for CVI on this page: http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.labwindows-cvi.html#305472

Simply hit the "Individual Offline Installers" link to opt for the offline download.

Best regards,

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(6,012 Views)

I was forced to uninstall it, due to some nasty crashes of IDE that I wasn't able to reproduce, just random crashes. Some time preceded by the popup "Not enough memory for operation" (I have 16 GB and CVI was the only program running beside the usual OS things).

I noticed that the popup list for struct members names did not work for struct pointers ("->" , a.k.a. arrow notation). Does anyone noticed this, too?

Carlo A.
Megaris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,910 Views)

I also just updated to the 2019 version.

Actually I am quite disappointed as I already faced some IDE crashes when hitting CTRL+G to jump back to the last position.

Also my project fails to run anymore as I get a fatal runtime error:

FATAL RUN-TIME ERROR:   Unknown source position, thread id 8908:   A non-debuggable thread caused a 'General Protection' fault at address 0x0000000000000001. No source line information is available.

When stepping through the code I get this message when returning from a function. I did not have this behavior with the 2017 version.

Also I wonder why NI is not advertizing the new release up to now? Do they know more and we better should wait for a fix to the 2019 version? I do not want to waste too much time if it is not worth?

Thanks for any comment ...

Bernd

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(5,701 Views)

Hi Bernd,

Regarding the 2 issues that you experienced using LabWindows/CVI 2019, have you filed a ticked for this?

Can you share the project (preferably, a simplified version) that reproduces the symptom? I would be interested in looking at the issues. If you feel more comfortable, you can share it via private message.

Best regards,

- Johannes

Message 9 of 13
(5,679 Views)

Hi Johannes,

thanks for your offer to help.

But as the project is a rather complex and commercial software it takes me a lot of effort to extract parts which can be shared. That's why I first asked here about some known issues with this new release...

What I also recognized is, that the 2017 version is still installed on the PC and working with this project. Perhaps something went wrong with the installation or is this the standard behaviour of the 2019 installer?

The crashes when hitting the CTRL+G Shortcut are unfortunately not reproducible .. so I do not know how to force this crash.

Best,

Bernd

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,668 Views)