LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build installation package fails with MDFBuildDevPart_SetUpgradeInfo

I am building an installation package with C-code and a UIR file. That's it.

The first time I attempt to create a new installation package using Build->Build Distribution, the following are displayed in the error dialog:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error configuring developer part options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Error:
    Unexpected internal error.
    Unexpected internal error while setting the upgrade code and product version in the installer (_MDFBuildDevPart_SetUpgradeInfo). Go to ni.com/info and enter the Info Code InstallerBuilderSupport to obtain more information about errors generated when building an installer.

The strange part is that if I do NOTHING ELSE (I'm not kidding, nothing at all), and simply initiate the Build->Build Distribution again, it works just fine. This now happens every time I attempt to build the distribution package.

After extensive experimentation, I discovered that the PREBUILD and POSTBUILD steps in the distribution build were causing this problem. These steps were renaming two files to swap them prior to doing the build, and then swapping the names again after the build. This apparently caused the building setup to lose it's mind.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,143 Views)

CynoLew,

What version of CVI are you using?

Also, does the installer that works the second time actually work? If you haven't already tried running the installer on a different computer, I would recommend trying it on a VM to make sure it doesn't do anything unexpected to a system you care about.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,103 Views)

CVI 2015 (sorry about not including that)

Once the installer successfully builds, everything works as expected. The newly created installation package works flawlessly.

This has happened many times. I discovered that by removing the pre-build instructions for the installation package build (NOT the EXE build), this problem no longer occurs.

I was merely reporting the problem, and hoping that there was a solution in the works.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,100 Views)