cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Crash - ntdll.dll

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear NI,

I have a CVI application running on a WIN7 single board computer collecting data and doing some calculation continuously.  It runs well for a day then crashes with the following windows message.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: VCON.exe
Application Version: 4.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 59961611
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23864
Fault Module Timestamp: 595fa490
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0002e43e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.320.65
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This same application works fine on my laptop with no crash.  I found a similar thread https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabWindows-CVI/ntdll-issue/m-p/3067859.  But the DEP security setting is essential Windows programs and services only.  Is there any other Windows settings to check?

Thanks,

JZ.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(13,959 Views)

Hi JZ

I got a couple of questions about this error message. 

What version of CVI is this?

In the second PC, are you running an installer or are you building your application there as well?

Does both computer share similar specifications (ram and cpu)?

Considering it is an application crash, do you know if Windows Events notices something odd at the time it occurs?

Can you test it in third PC?

My apologies for that many steps, but the error sounds kind of generic. It is hard to tell what might be going on with the current information. 

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(13,920 Views)

Hi Lsan,

Thanks for your reply.  Below is my answers to your questions.

1. My CVI version is 13.0.2 (278) full development system.

2. The second PC is running an installer.  I use my laptop (first PC) to build this application.

3. The second computer is a single board computer (for field instrumentation use), which has 4 GB RAM and Intel Celeron CPU N2930 @ 1.83GHz.  My laptop is much better: 16 GB RAM and Intel i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz.

4. The Windows Event Viewer shows .NET Runtime error.  Application: VCON.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 776FE064.

5. I tested in another single board computer (same hardware and OS).  I got the same application crash.

Please let me know if you need other info for troubleshooting.  I greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

JZ.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(13,914 Views)

Hello again JZ

Seeing how limited the specifications are for your single board computer, maybe performance could be what is triggering this error. You could benchmark you code using your laptop to see if during extended periods of time the ram or cpu starts to increase. What I am thinking is that maybe your. Depending on your code, there could be some used space in memory that is not being release,then it stacks through the day and eventually fails.

Also, might be unrelated, but I have seen similar issues with a buffer for data acquisition. Based upon the size of the buffer and the data acquisition rate, it could eventually  get full or empty and it fails after a extended period of time. 

Do you know if this always fails around at certain amount of time? or is it random?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(13,899 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jzhu0000

Hi Lsan,

Sorry for the late reply.  After some troubleshooting, we found that there is one function in a .net dll that causes the memory allocation conflict.  I have contacted the author of the .net dll library to make some changes.  It should be able to fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.

JZ.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(13,844 Views)