LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing data to file (including time, velocity and temperature)

SO, here is the vi, as promised,.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And speaking of help, if each of us gives just a little of that which we have been so blessed with (or even a LOT), think of how huge an impact we could have upon the lives of the multitude devastated by Hurricane Katrina. 
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(2,740 Views)
One more time, HERE is the front panel image, showing the data that SHOULD have been saved to file
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(2,735 Views)

The problem is that you are saving the numbers as binary data. Convert the numbers to ascii strings before saving and things should work like you expect.

Mike...

PS: I was part of the "trailer trash" working in the office trailers that were setup while the new factory was being built on the hill. I was working in photonics and was involved with the Gain 4.2 and OTS 6 test systems. Corning need any consulting help these days? I used to love the sound of the whistle at the press-ware plant echoing through the valley on a cold winter morning... Trivia night at the Lodge on the Green... Spagetti day at the Railroad Cafe across the street from Dresser-Rand...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(2,717 Views)

Mike, you indicated that I need to "Convert the numbers to ascii strings before saving".  Can you provide any detail?  Ordinarily, I would grind through this on my own, as that which is learned through pain is learned best, but I am anticipating overseas travel as early as Saturday morning, and I'd really like to have this operational when I get there.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, 

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(2,701 Views)

Dan, thanks for the sentiment about the hurricane victims.  I have a few friends and family that lost everything in that storm.  Thank God my immediate family was spared since they live just to the southwest of New Orleans.

To convert numbers to ascii strings, use one of the Number to String functions found in the Strings - Strings/Numbers Conversion palette.  There are functions to convert decimal, hex, fractional (floating point) numbers to strings.  When reading the file, use the functions to convert strings to numbers, found in the same palette.

- tbob

Inventor of the WORM Global
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(2,681 Views)
Mike, I am now officially desperate.  This application is going overseas on Friday morning to be used in tests, and I cannot figure out how to format the data so that it is usable when written to file.  I have "probed" the two lines currently going into the bundle, as well as the single line coming out, and all the data looks good; but when I save to file, I get this:

?½/Ÿ¾vÉ?´záG®{?¾vÈ´9X?¶E¡ÊÀƒ?²-V?¬(õ\)?¦‡+ Iº   @6      @6      @6      @6      @6      @6      @6     

What I should see is this:

1:49:56

YUCK!!!  I have even (as you can see) removed the time stamp data from the process, even though I really want to save that, as well.  I'm just trying to understand what this beast is doing.  I want to save it to file so that I can open it up in excel and have three columns: time, velocity (or DP), and temperature.  Is there anything you can suggest? 
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(2,677 Views)
Mike, I am now officially desperate.  This application is going overseas on Friday morning to be used in tests, and I cannot figure out how to format the data so that it is usable when written to file.  I have "probed" the two lines currently going into the bundle, as well as the single line coming out, and all the data looks good; but when I save to file, I get this:

?½/Ÿ¾vÉ?´záG®{?¾vÈ´9X?¶E¡ÊÀƒ?²-V?¬(õ\)?¦‡+ Iº   @6      @6      @6      @6      @6      @6      @6     

YUCK!!!  I have even (as you can see) removed the time stamp data from the process, even though I really want to save that, as well.  I'm just trying to understand what this beast is doing.  I want to save it to file so that I can open it up in excel and have three columns: time, velocity (or DP), and temperature.  Is there anything you can suggest? 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(2,676 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(2,676 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(2,676 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(2,677 Views)