From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

writing data to excel using activeX

Hey, 

I am new at this labview stuff. I have been looking at various examples and I got this vi and modified to my own need. 

It would retrieve the data generated and transfer them to excel, but I have a tiny problem with this vi. I really need the vi to place the each value that was retrive into appropriate cells (like a delimiter). So far its retrieving the data and putting all of them into cell A1. can some one help me please??

So if I retrieve a data like this:  "LabVIEW:Aninputparameterisinvalid."

then I want to read them in excel like so,  "LabVIEW" in cell A1,    "An" in Cell A2,    "input" in cell A3,    "parameter" for Cell A4, and so on. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,419 Views)

Your receive string example is not delimited.  I am assuming there are delimiters in the string.  Do you have the Report Generation Toolkit.  It's not as flexible, but it is easier to use than Active X; especially if your starting out and it will do what you need.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,409 Views)

I used the excel Easy Table once, but the reason that I am using activeX is that the toolkit is too generic, has too much parameters, and I can modified a VI to as detail as I want using activeX. Correct me if i am wrong, but does the report generation toolkit allow users to open an existing excel file, choose a specific worksheet, and choose a specific cell to writte on? if it does, could you show me? 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,394 Views)

@boodmiester wrote:

I used the excel Easy Table once, but the reason that I am using activeX is that the toolkit is too generic, has too much parameters, and I can modified a VI to as detail as I want using activeX. Correct me if i am wrong, but does the report generation toolkit allow users to open an existing excel file, choose a specific worksheet, and choose a specific cell to writte on? if it does, could you show me? 

Thanks

Yes, it does.  They are located under the Excel General pallete for pointing to a specific sheet or workbook.  You can use the Excel Easy text to write to a specific cell.  I should note that the RGT uses Active X controls internally to do the same thing you are trying to do.  Open them up and have a look.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,385 Views)

So I have made this VI according to your suggestion and so far its working well except for the delimiter. I am glad that the "end of line" constant works well cause thats one less problem that I have to worry about. but do you have any suggestion in how to apply delimiter to this VI?  

I have tried using the "Array to spreadsheet string" VI that Labview has, but that didnt work at all.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,354 Views)