From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write to spreadsheet more than 1048576 rows

Hi, I wanted to log data more than than1048576 rows(max.numb of rows in excel), how can I do it?

I am using the write to spreadsheet

I tried adding sheet but it did not work out (using report generation toolkit)as it affects my other structures

so I was thinking to add a new log path after the first sheet of excel is full 1048576  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,754 Views)

Yes.  Limitation of Excel.  Older versions were limited to only 65536.

Do just what you said, keep track of how many rows you've created.  When your next row is going to be greater than the ~1 million limit, have it go into a case structure that creates  a new file name and discards the old.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,739 Views)

I cant, I need about 3mil rows to log and I need a program to record them all without stopping the program as I am doing a test, pls tell me how you make it automatically log the data to the second log path continuously after 1 mil rows without prompting (predefined all log paths before the program is started)

(I am doing a test for 3 months, about 1mil data each month, I cant stop the test in the middle)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,735 Views)

What are you doing with 3 million data points?  I mean, what are you doing with the data?  You have to analyze it somehow and get a result (or, it is not a TEST right?)

Now that you are looking at the real problem,  have you considered using the date as part of the filename?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,733 Views)

Simple: Don't use excel. Write to a simple delimited file (or preferably to a suitable binary file) instead.

Your program knows at all times how much was written (e.g. by incrementing the counts in a shift register), so you can automatically increment the file name at regular intervals if you want to keep the files manageable.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,714 Views)

@Mong1995 wrote:

I cant, I need about 3mil rows to log and I need a program to record them all without stopping the program as I am doing a test, pls tell me how you make it automatically log the data to the second log path continuously after 1 mil rows without prompting (predefined all log paths before the program is started)

(I am doing a test for 3 months, about 1mil data each month, I cant stop the test in the middle)

When did I i ever say your program would stop?  Or that your program would be prompting you for new filenames?

I figured you should already know how to programmatically assign a filename without any file dialogs prompting you.  And how to build a filename such as a based file name plus a number that is inserted into it that you could increment each time you need a new file.

And as others have said, although Excel can now open files with over 1 millions rows, it can be come dog slow in trying to work with that much data.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,707 Views)

I must use excel, reasons being;

1-getting graphs

2-modifiable cells

3-need to make a report base on excel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,683 Views)

It wont be too slow, I tried a demo, just couple of seconds.

Still the question is unsolved, I must use excel,

Problem is how to log 3mil data to excel without prompting or stopping the program, it has to log the data continuously to a second excel after the first 1mil is reached on first excel, and so the third excel for the last 1mil.

Kindly put on your vi here thanks for help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,680 Views)

I gave you an answer on, but apparently you didn't understand.

Here is a screen shot example.

Example_VI_BD

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,666 Views)

@Mong1995 wrote:

I must use excel, reasons being;

1-getting graphs

2-modifiable cells

3-need to make a report base on excel

Excel can open simple tab delimited text files and still do all that with the imported data.

Message 10 of 12
(3,652 Views)