LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write labview measurement file, and lost Y-axes - upgrading from 7.0 to 8.0

I had a program that worked perfectly well in Labview 7.0 and now have encountered problems trying to migrate it to 8.0.

One of the problems is the "Write LVM file" express VI. The VI is now called continuously, presumably each time the program while loop is iterated. In the previous version, the Write LVM File VI was only called once at the start, as I wanted it to be. I imagine I need to change the loop structure in my program, but I don't know how to. 

Another problem is that I seem to have lost the Y-axis on some of the waveform charts. When I right-click on the plot the Y axis is greyed out and I see no way to get it back.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

(Small rant: As you may be able to tell I am hardly a knowledgeable LV programmer and I am finding these migration issues very difficult. Is it not possible to retain some consistency in simple functionality between different versions?)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,399 Views)
Please post your code and we will be happy to help you out.  There are a number of things that could be wrong.

Put the 7.0 and 8.0 in different directories, then zip them up so we can see both.  Be sure to include any subVIs.

If you cannot post your code, a screen shot may be enough.  Please use PNG or GIF format.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,392 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have attached a few files which I hope will explain the problem. The file with "USB" in the title is the one I am trying to write in LV8, and the other zip file is an older working version from LV7. They are not precisely the same but you should be able to see what I've been doing.

My upgrade was forced by a failed 6023-E card requiring me to move up to USB-6008, which was not supported by my old PC running USB1.0. So I have a new pc running LV8. You'll notice that the data acquisition in the USB version is slightly different but this bit works fine! It's the "easy" bits that I am having trouble upgrading.

Also attached for good measure are some screen dumps showing the y axis disappearance and also the code.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,386 Views)
You did not attach any files. If you click the preview button, your attachments are lost.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,384 Views)
D'oh.
Here they are.
Thanks
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,379 Views)

Hi Klara,

I don't seem to have the same problem as you as long I open both vi's on the same screen size.

You have set all of your front panel objects to scale with the window size and when I shrink the window size I see the Y axis disappear.  (pretty much what I would expect for a small window)

Have you kept the screen sizes consistent?

I also wondered about your other problem.  The only difference I can see with the two vi's once loaded in LabVIEW 8.0 (I used the differ tool) is that the LVM file write is set to Overwrite file in one program. and Rename existing file in the other Write LVM file.

Is this intentional?

AdamB

Applications Engineering Team Leader | National Instruments | UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,367 Views)

Hi Adam,

It wasn't intentional to change the write LVM file settings. But the problem I am experiencing seems to be independent of the file settings, which is what made me think it was to do with the program structure rather than the Express VI.

My upgrade also forced me to move from a desktop to a laptop which I guess could have caused the Y axis disappearance from what you say. I am still not sure how to get it back though!

Klara

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,356 Views)