LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

write character

I have a problem with writing characters in a file. I have to write a string at EOF (in a new line --that works) and after that I want to write a 1D-spreadsheet in the next line. When I try to solve this problem, everytime the 1D-spreadsheet is immediately behind the string (when I set a carriage return after the string there is only a strange sign but not a line break....
HOw can I get a line break that my string is alone in the line...

Thank you very much

MS
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,264 Views)

Hi

Could you attach the vi as LV7.0 (Menu File>>Save with options>>Save for previous version).

Thomas

Using LV8.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't be afraid to rate a good answer... 😉
--------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,251 Views)
when I set a carriage return after the string there is only a strange sign but not a line break

Carriage return is only the same as "line break" on Macintosh. On Windows, you need a Carriage return + Line Feed.

Use the NEW LINE constant to give you a line break, regardless of platform.

OTHER TIPS:

• You don't need to use the GET DATE/TIME IN SECONDS function - the default value of the FORMAT DATA/TIME string is the current time.
  • You could use the DECREMENT function instead of subtracting one.
  • You could use the CURRENT VI's PATH and BUILD PATH functions to be more cross-platform flexible. Plus it removes absolute paths from your own code.

Steve Bird
    Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
    Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
    Message 3 of 5
    (2,250 Views)
    I think this VI does what you like. If so, get inspired !

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
    Message 4 of 5
    (2,246 Views)
    You could also consider doing this a different way.

As I see it you are reading the entire file, replacing the last character with a line break + a new line, then re-writing the entire string.

If your file is small, it won't matter, but as that file gets bigger, this gets more and more inefficient. Imagine a 10-meg file that you want to add a single line to. You have to read 10 megs, add a line to 10 megs, and write 10 megs.

Consider using the raw file functions to open the file, and write the new data at the end position-1, and close the file. Super-quick, because you don't handle all the data that's gone before. See attached picture.

Steve Bird
    Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
    Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

Message 5 of 5
    (2,244 Views)