LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows 7 32 bit versus 64 bit

Will NI have a Windows 7 64 bit OS? If so will the block software be useable between 32 bit and 64 bit ? Is it possible go from 64 to 32 bit?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,425 Views)

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.  For whatever reason, my Labview 2009 install chose 32 bit (could be my university's site license is for 32 bit, or I missed an option in the install or something), but it works fine running as a 32 bit program.  All of the additional Labview modules have worked fine as well.

Drivers aren't an issue either, if your existing VIs use DAQmx.  I had some issues updating old VIs that use the legacy DAQ drivers because they aren't supported on Windows 7.

You should be able to move VIs between 32 bit and 64 bit OSes just fine.

Message 2 of 11
(3,423 Views)

Thanks for the update. I upgraded my PC at my desk. But production are still using 32 bit machines.

Thanks

Philip

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,414 Views)

pnielsen@gplains.com wrote:

Will NI have a Windows 7 64 bit OS?

No, since NI doesn't make operating systems. Smiley Wink

pnielsen@gplains.com wrote:

If so will the block software be useable between 32 bit and 64 bit ? Is it possible go from 64 to 32 bit?

What is "block software"? Are you referring to LabVIEW? You have to be careful about which direction you go. If you build an application on a 64-bit machine it will not work on a 32-bit machine.

See Using National Instruments Products on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows and LabVIEW 64-Bit vs. 32-Bit Applications FAQ.

Message 4 of 11
(3,390 Views)

There's a really good FAQ on this topic here.

edit: ...which is listed in the post right above mine. whoops. 🙂

Verne D. // Software R&D // National Instruments
Message 5 of 11
(3,382 Views)

My goof. I should have stated will NI lab view work under both Windows 7 64 bit OS and 32 bit OS. You get two kudos.

Have a good weekend.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,349 Views)

Quote:

For whatever reason, my Labview 2009 install chose 32 bit (could be my university's site license is for 32 bit, or I missed an option in the install or something), but it works fine running as a 32 bit program.

The 64 bit version has to be downloaded. It's not on the 2009 DVD.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,268 Views)

Hi,

due to many application buildings (64 bit) problems I need to switch to LV2009 32 bit.

How do I make it?

Do I have to uninstall the LV and reinstall the same LV2009, only now choosing 32 bit?

What about the licenses?

Thanks

Y3G

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,001 Views)

I kept my 32 bit version. I got a new PC with Windows 7 configured for 64 Bit. I reloaded the 32 bit version of NI and I have had no problems. I have not tried purchasing a 64 bit version. Production and our labs are using 32 bit Lab View. I have not tested beyond the 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,998 Views)

You can have both 32-bit and 64-bit LabVIEW installed on the same computer. They install in different directories. The license will apply to both, so you don't need an additional license.

Message 10 of 11
(2,994 Views)