LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

window glitch in LabVIEW 2013

My customer just complained about this.  I first told him it was a problem with the video driver on his computer, then I saw the same thing on my computer.  Since we just moved from LV 2012 to 2013, I'm wondering if this is a glitch in LabVIEW.

The problem is that when a window is set to not show the menu bar and the toolbar (or even just one of them) when running, the title bar does not collapse down to the top of the remainin window as it should, but remains up where it is when the VI is in edit mode.  The extra pixels near the top of the window are then filled in with pixels from whatever was on your Windows desktop behind the VI.  I've taken a screen shot of an example.  In it, you can see the dark blue title bar "MICAS Configuration Editor".  The light blue background below that is what is supposed to appear.  The grey with green plusses and another greyed-out MICAS Configuration Editor title bar is stuff from behind the window that is filling in the extra pixels.

Any idea where this is coming from or how to get rid of it?

Thanks,

DaveT

-------------------------------------------------------------
David Thomson Original Code Consulting
www.originalcode.com
National Instruments Alliance Program Member
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified Embedded Systems Developer
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,090 Views)

I can't reproduce this.  Is this in an executable or a VI in run mode?

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,081 Views)

Both my customer and I are seeing it in LabVIEW source code.  We are both using LV 2013 under W7-64bit.  But we've got drastically different computer hardware, so I think my initial assumption that it was a video driver issue isn't likely correct.

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,072 Views)

Interesting.  I'm running LV 2013 under Windows 7 64-bit and I do not see the problem when I put a VI in run mode.  I'll try it with an actual running VI and see what happens.  Do you have any other VIs running visibly at the same time?

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,063 Views)

Ah, here's an important clue.  There's another setting required for this to happen.  In addition to turning off one or both of the Show Toolbar and Show Menu options, you also have to turn ON a minimum panel size.  If you set a minimum panel size, can you duplicate this behavior?

DaveT

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,049 Views)

We need a bit more than a jpg champ.

It looks like you have blown away the Windows AERO theme (That can cause "Known issues")  but, Help us reproduce this.  LabVIEW version SP# Patch and bitness

Any OS info(Home Pro.....)

System settings....

And of course a sample vi with all those settings would help a lot

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,037 Views)

I cannot reproduce this.  I'm using LV 2013 Version 13.0f2 32-bit on Windows 7 professional 64-bit.  I created a simple VI and set a minimum window size as well as turning off both menu bar and Tool bar.

My simple VI is attached.  Does the problem manifest when using this VI?

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,023 Views)

Thanks for trying, Kelly.  No, your example doesn't do it on my machine either.  There must be at least one more key parameter involved...

I am also using LV 13.0f2 (32 bit).  On W7 Pro 64bit, SP1.

My customer, who also saw this, had not turned off the Aeros feature in Windows, so that seems unlikely to be involved.

It may well be necessary for me to create a portable example to upload.  Of course this is in a big project, linked to all kinds of things which I don't really want to upload.  If no one is able to identify this as a known issue, I'll work on creating an example file.  In the meantime, I've set the minimum panel size to 0,0, which has eliminated the symptoms.

Thanks,
   DaveT

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,013 Views)

if , You have other forums to address this on, post there.  I understand that bugs like this can be hard to trace.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,007 Views)

Well, the problem still exists.  Here are a few more observations:

- The graphics error occurs on my development machine (W7-64) in both source code and as an executable.

- The same executable moved to an XP machine does also exhibit the problem.

- I just updated to LV 2013 SP1, which was just released.  The problem still exists in source code.  It also still exists after rebuilding the VI as an executable with LV2013-SP1.

Given all of the above, I went ahead and stripped the VI down to its minimum.  The attached zip includes the main VI and just one dependency, and .ctl.  This VI still shows the problem on my development machine.  Can someone else try running it and seeing if they see the issue?

Again, this same VI, with no changes that I can currently recall, did not have this problem under LV 2012.

Thanks,

DaveT

www.originalcode.com
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(2,896 Views)