LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why labview build program does not run right on the laptop

Solved!
Go to solution

we have created a labview program to run our test stand.  it works fine when things are plugged into the desktop computer the program was made on.  however, when we make a 'build' to be able to run it on a laptop it does not work.  i have installed the latest drivers, the labview runtime error and the hotfix package.  it still does not work.  what is missing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,812 Views)

Hard to say from you description.  Can you mention the way in which you application fails?  Also, what version of LabVIEW did you create it in?  What OS is on the build machine versus the laptop?

One thing to check is the memory.  Make sure the laptop has adequate RAM, particularly if you application seems to run but very slowly.  I have seen this problem before.

thanks

Jason

Wire Warrior

Behold the power of LabVIEW as my army of Roomba minions streaks across the floor!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,811 Views)

The button in the program to start the motor and taking test data does not start anything.  We created it using a Desktop using Windows 7 but the laptop is using Windows XP.

I have would of attached the program but the discussion form prevents this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,804 Views)

Did you build an 'Application (EXE)' or an 'Installer'?

You said you 'installed the latest drivers.' This is a little bit different than creating an installation package which includes the drivers and run time engine.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,800 Views)

We built an .EXE file.. When we first tries to open it the program stated we needed to download the run time enginee.  We did that and installed the runtime enginee.  Then, once that was done, we tried again.  The second time it loaded the program but said it could not recognize the 9174, 9237, and 9401.  So we installed the drivers downloading the NI-DAQ 9.4.  We installed it and then it opened the program, recognized the hardware.

Again, when we run the program on the laptop it will not take data.  We have a "button" in the program to start the motor and take data.  When one presses this "button" it will save a file but the motor will not start and no data is recorded.

However, if we plug the USB into her desktop (she made the program), the program works fine.  I did some checking and see is running on Windows XP and so is the laptop.  Please help as we need to get data to our customer by Friday and need a working tes stand.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,779 Views)

Create an Installer. This will Install will setup up your target machine (Laptop), with the right Runtime version including all libs your programm needs.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,776 Views)

Hey Eric-

What behavior do you see when you see no data being recorded?  Are there errors raised by the NI-DAQmx VIs or any other behaviors that are suspect?  Do you know if the application is coded in such a way that those errors would be presented to the user?  It may be useful to install LabVIEW on the target you're deploying to for debugging so you can interactively debug the application.

This is a total shot in the dark, but I would recommend that you confirm the device names for your DAQmx devices on the laptop match those on the desktop.  This is assuming that, as many developers do, your colleague hard-coded DAQmx device names into the application.  If this is the case then you should use Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX) to ensure that all of the devices are recognized and named the same as on the development desktop.  If that is true, you can also use MAX to access DAQmx Test Panels to ensure that your measurements are working correctly.  Based on the results of Test Panels usage, you should know whether the device is working in general on the laptop and whether or not you should suspect the application itself.

Hopefully this helps-

Tom W
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,775 Views)

How do you create an "Installer".  Is that available for download????

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,764 Views)

What behavior do you see when you see no data being recorded?  The program does not turn the motor on and data is not recorded.  Even when the motor is started manually it still does not record data from the pressure transducer.

Are there errors raised by the NI-DAQmx VIs or any other behaviors that are suspect? No errors raised.

Using the Measurement and Automation Explorer which is installed when I installed the NI-DAQ drivers the test panels for all devices state they are ready and no problems found.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,763 Views)

When in the project, in the build specification right click and choose build installer

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 10 of 11
(2,755 Views)