LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is reference to custom control black?

Hi everybody,

I'm using a custom control on the front panel and when I create a reference to it by right clicking the terminal the reference terminal is shown in black. Does anybody know what that black colour means? When I wire this reference to a subvi's "control reference" control which is set to "include data type" I get a broken wire because of a wire class conflict. (Of course I made sure that the control of the subvi contains the correct data tyte). I'm using other custom controls where everything works fine and I don't get a black reference terminal.

Any idea would be welcome,
Clemens
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,819 Views)
Black usually means empty, like an array with no type or an empty cluster. Do you have anything like that in your control?

(2,809 Views)
Thanks for the reply!

I just found the problem: the cluster contains several boolean controls that were set to "latch when released". If I set them to "switch until released" everything works fine. Does anybody have an explanation for that behavior?

Bye Clemens
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,798 Views)
There appear to be 2 issues - one, it's black because of the mechanical action. Latch actions prevent you from writing to the control, so I'm guessing this is just a warning. It happens with regular clusters as well.
Second, you're getting a class conflict. I understand this stopped when you changed the action. If so, maybe LV really doesn't like this mechanical action. If it didn't stop, make sure you have the right type by recreating the reference control from the original cluster and copying it to the subVI.

(2,791 Views)