From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it a clone version (read only) opened when I descend down to a subVI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have just installed an evaluation version of LabView 2010. But, I notice that when I create a LV program and descend down a subVI (this is subVI is also created by me, not a reference to a library), it only opens a read only version of the subVI of which I descend to. The window title also shows the subVI descended is a clone version, not editable. Why? Is it because of it is an evaluation version?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,266 Views)

The VI is Reentrant. Since many can use the VI at once it opens in read only mode and you only look at a specific clone of it.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,263 Views)

But, I only have one VI opened. It is still opening up a read only version when I descend down to a SubVI from that the top VI that is the only one opened in Labview. How do you explain that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,256 Views)
Solution
Accepted by alanxie

If you are using a Project, try opening the sub-vi through the project, and not through the calling vi.

If not using a project, open it the traditional way:  File>Open> browse to the sub-vi and select it.

Alternatively (and more simple) try ctrl-M on the opened clone to make it the master.

To check if it is re-entrant, in the File menu, select VI Properties> Execution

Look if there is a checkmark in the Re-entrant execution box.

It does not matter if you only have one re-entrant vi opened.  If you opened if from the calling vi, it will be a clone.  Annoying, yes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,253 Views)

Thanks, that is crystal clear.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,240 Views)

Glad to help

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,233 Views)