LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is it a clone version (read only) opened when I descend down to a subVI

Solved!
Go to solution

I have just installed an evaluation version of LabView 2010. But, I notice that when I create a LV program and descend down a subVI (this is subVI is also created by me, not a reference to a library), it only opens a read only version of the subVI of which I descend to. The window title also shows the subVI descended is a clone version, not editable. Why? Is it because of it is an evaluation version?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,275 Views)

The VI is Reentrant. Since many can use the VI at once it opens in read only mode and you only look at a specific clone of it.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,272 Views)

But, I only have one VI opened. It is still opening up a read only version when I descend down to a SubVI from that the top VI that is the only one opened in Labview. How do you explain that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,265 Views)
Solution
Accepted by alanxie

If you are using a Project, try opening the sub-vi through the project, and not through the calling vi.

If not using a project, open it the traditional way:  File>Open> browse to the sub-vi and select it.

Alternatively (and more simple) try ctrl-M on the opened clone to make it the master.

To check if it is re-entrant, in the File menu, select VI Properties> Execution

Look if there is a checkmark in the Re-entrant execution box.

It does not matter if you only have one re-entrant vi opened.  If you opened if from the calling vi, it will be a clone.  Annoying, yes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,262 Views)

Thanks, that is crystal clear.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,249 Views)

Glad to help

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,242 Views)