LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a canonical VISA resource name?

Hello,
When I probed the purple VISA resouce name wire, the probe showed this information:

canonical VISA resource name:
ASRL::INSTR
VISA refnum:
COM2

I had set the VISA resource name to be COM2 using the control. I am not able to read more than 1 string from the serial port, and I am thinking that the different canonical resource name has something to do with it. I have also posted my program that I use to read from the serial port.

I have been struggling with this issue (not being able to read more than a line of data) for more than half a year. I would REALLY appreciate some assistance!

Thank-you,
Ivanka
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,041 Views)
Here is teh attachment.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,039 Views)
The different canonical name is expected. The actual VISA Resource Name is ASRL2::INSTR. Com2 is an alias for that port. I think your problem is that you're not using Replace Array Subset correctly. You cannot replace an empty element. You either create an array with x number of element using Initialize Array or you use an empty array to start and use either Build Array or Insert Into Array to append new elements. This is only necessary if you need all elements inside the while loop. The other way is to just wire the string to the edge of the while loop and select enable indexing.
Message 3 of 4
(3,030 Views)
You don't have to use those Array functions, just use auto-indexing of the While Loop. Check out the example program attached below.
Message 4 of 4
(3,009 Views)