LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what does normalization mean?how do you do it in labview?

hello
i want to know what "normalization of my results" mean and how do i do it in Labview. i have 2 sets of data results with different time indexes from the same algorithm.how do i normalize them?can anybody help me here please? i have attached a file with the data in a small excel file for viewing.

kind regards
madgreek
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,204 Views)
Madgreek-

Normalization has several (vastly different) meanings. It can be anything from applying a scaling factor to one or both of your arrays to adjusting to a relative tamestamp on both waveforms for an easy comparison. Why is it that you are trying to normalize your data, and in what context?

Xaq
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,180 Views)
hello xaq
the 2 sets of data are the results from using the Cepstrum algorithm to estimate the pitch period of a signal in 2 different occasions.my signal is the same for both cases.what changes is the length of the segments of the signal (cepstrum is a block based algorithm. you have to segment the signal in order to use it).in the first case the length of each segment is 384 samples long and 320 for the other case.
what i want to do is this, i want to check and make sure that both these cases are correct and get the same results.i ma thinking that the pitch periods should be at the same spot no matter what the segment index should be.
 for example lets say the first pitch (actually a peak in the signal) is at the t=0.5 seconds. in the first case it should be shown in segment 10 for example while in the other case it should be in segment 12 for example (since segments length is not the same).i just want to check if the timing of these peaks occur at the same time index in both cases.thats why i want to normalize them.
i dont know if i confused you even more.thank you though for your time and effort
madgreek
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,166 Views)
Madgreek-

I'm still a bit confused. How do you want to reference the position of your peaks, by time or array index? If you are trying to compare your data sets by time then you can compute the corresponding index for that time in each dataset by dividing by the number of samples in the dataset. If you are intrested in comparing by time, then you can compute the efective index for each set of data by dividing your target time by the time difference between samples.

Another solution would be to either decimate the segment with more samples in it or interpolate the segment with less samples in it so that both segments have the same number of points. This would allow you to do a direct comparison between the two segments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,130 Views)
Xaq thank you very much for your time and effort...i was able to do it
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,108 Views)