From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

warning: Comp needed but no BD

Hi, Everyone:

When I go to look at a property of a node (for example the VISA Write, but it could any one of the built-in functions), it will keep returning an error (see the attached picture) until it runs out of hard drives to check, then it finally opens the proerties dialog.  Upon closing LabVIEW, I get the above error (details in the txt file).  I guess it's trying to compile a locked library (locked for a good reason - it's part of the LabVIEW install).  It just started happening, but I cannot recall an event that may have started the whole thing off...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,464 Views)

I forgot to say that I did a repair on the LabVIEW software in case I did something stupid and messed it up somehow.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,441 Views)

Hi Bill,

To clarify, this is when you right click-> select Properties of a built in VI on the block diagram?  I believe only thing you can change from there is the label visibility so I realize this may not be a critical issue.  It is worth looking into, however; is the application on a separate drive or removable media?  It looks like the error message is referring to something on the e:/ path and I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,403 Views)

@Matt_L wrote:

Hi Bill,

To clarify, this is when you right click-> select Properties of a built in VI on the block diagram?  I believe only thing you can change from there is the label visibility so I realize this may not be a critical issue.  It is worth looking into, however; is the application on a separate drive or removable media?  It looks like the error message is referring to something on the e:/ path and I wonder if that's got anything to do with it.

Thank you for replying, Matt:

LabVIEW is installed on my C: drive in the default directory.  It's not a critical issue, but it's an annoyance.

The weird thing is, why does LabVIEW feel it needs to be recompiled?  (I'm just guessing that's what the error means.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,387 Views)

Bill,

I'm not sure it's LabVIEW trying to be recompiled, it seems like maybe you've had a file open on a removable disk?  If so, I've heard that this can happen when you load a VI on a removable disk, quit LabVIEW, then try to relaunch without the removable media.  The only suggestion I could find was to open up your labview.ini file and find the lines "RecentFiles.pathList=" and "RecentFiles.projectPathList=", and remove everything after those equal signs.  Give this a try and let me know if it works out.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,361 Views)

@Matt_L wrote:

Bill,

I'm not sure it's LabVIEW trying to be recompiled, it seems like maybe you've had a file open on a removable disk?  If so, I've heard that this can happen when you load a VI on a removable disk, quit LabVIEW, then try to relaunch without the removable media.  The only suggestion I could find was to open up your labview.ini file and find the lines "RecentFiles.pathList=" and "RecentFiles.projectPathList=", and remove everything after those equal signs.  Give this a try and let me know if it works out.

I will try that!  Thanks!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,352 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Matt_L wrote:

Bill,

I will try that!  Thanks!

Hi, Matt:

I just tried your suggestion with no luck.  I thought this had a good chance of being the problem, too, since one of the projects I worked on was on a removeable drive.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,326 Views)

Bill,

That is strange indeed, I though for sure it would be the removable drive.  I haven't been able to reproduce this on my end, if you're able to find steps to reproduce let me know and I'll be sure look into making a bug report for R&D.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,309 Views)

You can start LabVIEW from scratch, then make a new VI.  Drop anything on it (like the "add" function, for instance).  Open its properties and it happens.  First, it tries all my removable drive letters, then it finally gives up.  That is the time I think I get my first "Comp needed" error in the log.  After that, it's smart enough to know that there is nothing in the drives but it silently accumulates the same error every time I try to open a property on a LabVIEW-provided function.  It also seems to happen when I try to open the properties of a typedef.

It thinks it needs to recompile the library, but since the BDs are removed, it cannot recompile.  The thing is, the library can't be modified, so why would it think it was?  Again, thinking it might be a corrupt library, I did a repair on the LabVIEW install to no effect.

The LabVIEW info is contained in the log.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,298 Views)

I still haven't been able to reproduce this unfortunately, and I can't find anything on the compile needed message in the error report you linked.  It doesn't make much sense that it could complain about the block diagrams since as you have mentioned, there are no block diagrams due to these functions being LabVIEW primitives.  I really can't think of what else to try other than a clean install, and I apologize there isn't a workaround for this anywhere.  If you're ever able to find exact steps to make this happen on a fresh install we would definitely be able to put in a bug report, but unless we have that there's not much that I can do to escalate to R&D on this.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,265 Views)