LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voltage across a resisitve sensor

I measure the volatge change across a chemcial sensor using a voltage divider circuitry and a NI USB 6341.  The sensor is powered by a 3-v battery. The volatge reading is noisy and affected dramatically by vibrations in the room such as a person walking close to it or tapping the table. How to solve this problem? Is it caused by grounding?

Many thanks for any comments.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,152 Views)

@JerryJin wrote:

I measure the volatge change across a chemcial sensor using a voltage divider circuitry and a NI USB 6341.  The sensor is powered by a 3-v battery. The volatge reading is noisy and affected dramatically by vibrations in the room such as a person walking close to it or tapping the table. How to solve this problem? Is it caused by grounding?

Many thanks for any comments.

I would start by checking all solder joints and terminals.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,149 Views)

We checked the connections. All have good connections. Problem remains

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,146 Views)

Have you read the online resources at ni.com?

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/pub/p/id/262

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3344/en

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,131 Views)

From your original post is sounds as though the sensor may be microphonic, that is, the sensor responds to vibrations in addition to the chemical inputs.

Try placing it on some very soft foam or suspend it via rubber bands.  That should isolate it from the vibrations.

Another thing to try is to replace the sensor with a resistor of similar value.  Do you see that same noise with the resistor?

Those two test should allow you to determine whether the sensor or the wiring is the problem.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,108 Views)