LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visa open & visa configure serial port.vi

I read the help file, it said <visa open.vi> open a new session.  I wonder is the vi <visa configure serial port.vi> can replace <visa open.vi>?

that is, is the visa configure serial port.vi inlcude the function of visa open.vi ?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,537 Views)

You can double click on Serial configure to see what it contains.

VISA open is not actually necessary.  Any of the VISA functions will automatically open the serial port.  The serial configure doesn't contain an explicit VISA Open, but it does open the serial port.

Message 2 of 6
(5,531 Views)

One additional piece of information: VISA Open isn't actually necessary now. It used to be that you needed to use it. I don't really remember at what point the automatic opening got put in. The function is still there so that older code won't show up as broken when opening in newer versions of LabVIEW.

Message 3 of 6
(5,528 Views)

I'm not sure how it handles TCP connectios though. I always feel more comfortable using an explicit open when dealing with network connections. I realize the OP was discussing serial connections however since we are talking VISA, other connection types should be considered. After all, that was the whole purpose of VISA, to allow the connection to be agnostic with respect to the connection type.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 4 of 6
(5,525 Views)

It does the same thing for TCP connections.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,510 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

It does the same thing for TCP connections.

I still prefer explicit open/close rather than implicit.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,502 Views)