From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

visa ethernet vs labview ethernetip

I'm getting ready to work with a Sentinal C28 leak tester.  Is there any special reason to buy LabVIEW's Ethernet/IP add-on ($650) instead of using VISA Ethernet? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,391 Views)

Hi free,

@mysticfree wrote:

I'm getting ready to work with a Sentinal C28 leak tester.  Is there any special reason to buy LabVIEW's Ethernet/IP add-on ($650) instead of using VISA Ethernet?

No.

This device uses "normal" ethernet.

EthernetIP is something different/special…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(1,388 Views)

If I'm reading the C28's spec sheet correctly there are two protocols available over Ethernet, Telnet and Ethernet/IP. LabVIEW no longer supports Telnet so you'd have to build up a solution on your own. If you use Ethernet/IP you would have pre-made VIs that do what you need. The bad side to EIP is that  you need to figure how to parse the EDS file that comes with every EIP device. To me this sounds less painful than making a telnet interface. 
Is it your $650? Spend some money to save some time.  

—Ben
Prevent your computer from sleeping programmatically!
Use Power Requests
Download from GitHub

Message 3 of 4
(1,320 Views)

@Ben_Manthey wrote:

LabVIEW no longer supports Telnet so you'd have to build up a solution on your own. 

Depending on the device, this can be super simple.  Generally, I have been able to use straight up TCP to do Telnet communications.  For one of my devices, I had to figure out to handle byte codes, which actually was fairly simple.

But, yes, Ethernet/IP is very simple as all you need to figure out is what to write to which register.  So it comes between terminal writing and processing (Telnet) and register writing and reading (Ethernet/IP).  So if it was purely my decision, I would go with the Ethernet/IP.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(1,280 Views)