LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi memory size verses file size

I have a subvi that does not contain much code data block and front panel objects thus giving a total memory usage of 151kb as shown below. However the file size is almost 2 orders of magnitude bigger. What is the explanation of this?

I also tried to copy and paste diagram to a blank vi and that file was twice the size of the original.

Any idea as to what's causing the discrepancy in numbers and the large file size. I have some empty clusters going in and out of the subvi and I have an imaq create function within the subvi. But the numbers don't add up.

Below is the VI memory use and front diagram showing mostly empty objects. I'd upload the program itself but it's a bit large, hence the problem!

Thanks y'all!!!

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,841 Views)

Cant you zip and upload the problematic vi?

I dont know how those numbers react to pictures and constants, but it feels like but that's the only thing i can think of directly.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,825 Views)

I would love to load up the file for you to take a look at but it's too big for posting!

I'm wondering if this memory v's file file size discrepency is a common issue. For small discrepencies I imagine it not being too much of an issue but as you can see this gap in memory is pretty big.

I can send it to you via our local dropbox system if you wish.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,815 Views)

I imagined it'd only be ~2Mb if zipped, in which case you can easily post it. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,813 Views)

Hi mactierney.

I agree with Yamaeda.  It's very difficult to say what is the cause of this, especially considering that the size reported doubled after a copy/paste of the block diagram.  Posting your code will definitely aid in solving this matter.  In the meantime, can you also confirm the file size reported by viewing the file's properties in your computer's file explorer?

Regards,

Michael G.

Michael G.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Self-realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,800 Views)

It's currently 9.831MB. in Windows Folder view. So that's in line with what the total size is. I just don't know the source of this memory..

So I've uploaded it as a link at the following website.

here it is

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,783 Views)

Something with one of your subVI's?

I did a saveas and the VI dropped to 35 KB.  But I don't have IMAQ installed, and also the subVI's such as image-manup-to array.

Make a copy of your VI and put it in a safe place.  Do a save as.  Keep deleting subVI's from your code one at a time and doing a Saveas until you see the file size noticably drops.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,779 Views)

I figured it out!!!

It's the "original image" constant that fed into the cluster. It was a constant I created off an image wire in another vi. I guess it carried over the image data when created. I deleted this constant and switched this to an "IMAQ create" function and viola, 35KB file now!!!

Thanks for all your help people. I think it might be advisable when displaying front and block diagram memory,  that constants relating to IMAQ images were included. It's not readily identifiable unless you track down the culprit(s)

From this  to  this

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,773 Views)