LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vi changed on disk

Periodically I get a popup saying that a VI has changed on disk since I loaded my project.  I can't see how this might happen as it is only me working on this project.  The annoyance for me is that the only options are revert or cancel. I tried saving the project, but I still got this error on trying to run the VI.  In the end I gave up, crossed my fingers, and selected revert.   What would be more helpful would be if LabVIEW gave me the options to display both versions of the VI so I could decide which I wanted to run with, save it and delete the other.  Far more helpful. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,466 Views)

@Barionics wrote:

Periodically I get a popup saying that a VI has changed on disk since I loaded my project.  I can't see how this might happen as it is only me working on this project.  The annoyance for me is that the only options are revert or cancel. I tried saving the project, but I still got this error on trying to run the VI.  In the end I gave up, crossed my fingers, and selected revert.   What would be more helpful would be if LabVIEW gave me the options to display both versions of the VI so I could decide which I wanted to run with, save it and delete the other.  Far more helpful. 

Try Ctrl+ISmiley Wink Look at the "General" page and see if the vi needs to be re-linked (if looking at a previous version) or re- compiled

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,404 Views)

Well, you can do this, but it takes a little effort.  Suppose you get the message that MyVI (which you didn't think you changed) is different from the one on disk, do you want to Save or not (is that the nature of the message)?

Digression -- if this happens in the context of closing the Project, there's something you can click that can tell you what changed.  If it is simply "VI recompiled", you can save-or-not-save, as I don't believe the VI, expressed as a LabVIEW diagram, has been altered.

Anyway, if you want to see if there's a change, you can use the Compare Tool (found on the Tools menu).  However, the VIs you compare need to have different names.  So first rename the VI on disk (to, say, MyVI.tmp.vi).  Now compare MyVI.vi (in memory) to MyVI.tmp.vi (on disk) -- if they differ, you can choose which to keep.  If they're the same, you can choose which to keep.  Don't forget to handle the renamed file on disk.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,379 Views)

Do you "Save All (Project)"?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,371 Views)
Yep. I tried save all but
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,346 Views)