LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using output as an input in tab menu

Hi everyone ))

I am making a simple simulation programm and not using no software or hardware from the outside of it. Only a logic inside a VI itself.

Someone knows if i can control inputs like switches and other controls by changing it in another tab? how can i share information of inputs and outputs and control them between tabs. where can i get an information for it? I learning the programm by myself and still not familiar with lot of stuff here, so in your answer please imagine you explaining a 5 year kid..

Thanks a lot for listening ... 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,649 Views)

A couple things.

A tab control is meant to be a way to organize controls and indicators on the front panel, very rarely is it used as part of the program itself like they way you are using it to drive a case structure.  You have it set up as an indicator which is even more odd since it means your user can never switch tabs themselves.

To be able to programmatically change a control, you typically use either write to a local variable of that control, a value property node, or a value (signalling) property node.  I see you already know about local variables. 

I recommend running block diagram cleanup to straighten up your wires to make it easier to read.

Have you looked at the online LabVIEW tutorials
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Three Hours
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,643 Views)

You reccomend to not using tabs and divide to 3 separate VI. but i think i cant to make them all of them operate at the same time. No?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,619 Views)

No.  I recommend you use the tab.  Just change it to a control.  Get rid of that numeric control.

And disconnect the tab control from the case structure.

What are you doing in each case of that structure?  Don't you want them to all run at the same time?  They should be in one loop, or in 3 different parallel loops.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,600 Views)

Hi Kraken,

You reccomend to not using tabs and divide to 3 separate VI.

Where did you get that recommendation?

You were recommended to make the tab a control instead of an indicator…

Btw. what's the purpose of this:

check.png

Why do you need a local variable here at all? Why not simply split the wire?

And why don't you replace the numeric by the display of page labels of the tab control (see it's visible objects!) - after making the tab control a real control!?

i think i cant to make them all of them operate at the same time. No?

Why do you think so?

THINK DATAFLOW: when you run things in parallel without any data dependency they will run in parallel…

When doing the recommended beginner tutorials please take a look at using arrays and polymorphic functions. And browse all those function palettes to find useful things like the InRangeAndCoerce function…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 5 of 10
(3,596 Views)

@GerdW wrote:

Hi Kraken,

When doing the recommended beginner tutorials please take a look at using arrays and polymorphic functions. And browse all those function palettes to find useful things like the InRangeAndCoerce function…

Absolute value and compound arithmetic functions are useful tooSmiley Wink

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,587 Views)

Hi everyone

Thanks everyone for making a tab as it need to be.. ))) And about the making it better to understand for the user i will do when i will finish all the project. Now i heard Raven said that its better  not to use cases in here, but that not the main idea how the tab works --> based on cases? Still people didnt get an answer for how can i can make a control tab to control the system by using vary inputs and outputs from different tabs. I will be appritiate for any advice..

Thanks again for the help you giving it helps a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,549 Views)

@Kraken86 wrote:

Still people didn't get an answer for how can i can make a control tab to control the system by using vary inputs and outputs from different tabs. I will be appropriate for any advice..

Can you explain exactly what you are trying to do a bit more?  What controls do you have on each tab?  Why does it matter which tab a control is on in the operation of that control?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,536 Views)

Hey Raven i want to build separate tab that will get the overall consumption power, and power produced. And control the switches in other tabs for the case if the system had les power produced than consumed --> then it turn on the generator room ot battery strings as a helping sources or in the opposite if there is to much energy then shut down some of the energy poduction sources to not overwhelm the system.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,533 Views)

Then do all that.

Don't think of the tab control as having anything to do with the flow of your program.  It is just a way to organize front panel controls.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,515 Views)