Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using labview to control a pc via keyboard

@ikaiser wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

BTW.

PS2 should not be a problem.

Be careful with these, you might have a wrong expectation what they do. The cheap, passive adapters just physically connect lines. They do not adapt the protocol used.

They work only when you have e.g. a keyboard or mouse that supports both PS/2 and USB.

Thanks for the advise, i did wonder how it converted, i don't think i will be using this method anyway. If this project does get off the ground i will send commands to a microcontroller based dev board that can then simulate a USB keyboard.  i may need to brush up on using arduino to do this.  

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(395 Views)

@Dave76 wrote:

@ikaiser wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

BTW.

PS2 should not be a problem.

Be careful with these, you might have a wrong expectation what they do. The cheap, passive adapters just physically connect lines. They do not adapt the protocol used.

They work only when you have e.g. a keyboard or mouse that supports both PS/2 and USB.

Thanks for the advise, i did wonder how it converted, i don't think i will be using this method anyway. If this project does get off the ground i will send commands to a microcontroller based dev board that can then simulate a USB keyboard.  i may need to brush up on using arduino to do this.  

I used those adapters a lot when USB just started. Old PS2 mouses worked with them. Pretty sure USB will recognize the PS2 protocol and see the device as mouse. No special mouse was needed, just a regular PS2 mouse... (This was ~15 years ago, don't hold me accountable for this).

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(390 Views)

BTW. The term for a USB "stick" that acts like a keyboard (keyboard injection) is called a rubber ducky. If you google that, you might find a cheap solution. Those devices can be programmed (probably by LabVIEW), and will inject keystrokes like a keyboard.

There are OOTB solutions, as well as DIY, like Raspiducky. Raspiducky would even have it's own HDMI interface, so you would not even need a PC to program it (but it won't use LV anymore).

Message 13 of 13
(383 Views)