cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using different hardware of the same type

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I wrote a code in LabVIEW and in DAQ I specified where the signal will be sent to and where it will be acquired from. I am using USB6009.

It turns out that when using an other USB6009 the program won't work as it has some other serial numbers. Do I have to configure the program for EACH DEVICE no matter if the device is of the same type?

How about exe? Suppose I want to send a program to someone far away who has device of thesame type but of course physically different one?

(this is kind of basic question but I am still awkward in finding answers for my questions generally finding materials/manuals to get a good base -> a novice can really get lost)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(2,945 Views)

Depending on how you set up your channels you will have to delete the old device and replace it with the new device. It seems backward to me too and has caused many problems. I like the old way where you could import channels and they would work.

The problem that you are having is not based on serial numbers. When you plug in the USB it is assigned a port so if you move that device to another USB port it get a new port number and new device name even though it is the same card on the same computer.

We wrote our own system to take care of daq cards based on serial number. It work so much better.

Tim
GHSP
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(2,944 Views)

Hi,

You might consider a device selection Control on the Front Panel of your program. There, the end user of your program can select the device or channel to be used, like seen in this Built-in LabVIEW Example:

Cont Acq&Graph Voltage-Int Clk.vi

DAQmx Channel Select.jpg

Regards,

T Simon

Best Regards,
T Simon
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(2,931 Views)

Simon T or T Simon,

I think the point of this thread is to eliminate the need for users to have to deal with such meaningless (to the end user) data as Dev1/ai0. This has been discussed in other threads as well.

In testing or school lab environments, especially with USB connected devices, interchangeability of devices of the same type should be easily accomplished by test operators, students, teaching assistants, or even professors without the need to tell the program that anything has changed.  A school with 10 USB-6009s should not have to worry about which one gets connected to which computer.

A system which has multiple devices connected simultaneously is a different issue because it cannot be determined programmatically which channels should be assigned to which device.

The single device scenario is sufficiently common that some effort should be put into making this transparent to the user.

Lynn

Message 4 of 17
(2,918 Views)

As I recall.  This has been offered as a improvement before

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(2,879 Views)

In lieu a feature like the one proposed by Jeff, you can use the DAQmx System Property node in combination with the DAQmx Device Property node to find a device of a particular type.  Have a look at the attached VI.

Dan

Message 6 of 17
(2,873 Views)

thanks.
and now completly new problem. I did some trial with the very same usbdevice but on a different computer. My .exe won't work (even with the very  same usb) on a different computer than the one on which I created it.The other computer does not have LAbVIEW installed however I did installthe Run-Time-Engine and the device is installed. It just will not respond to the task which is to output the given voltage (in a given range, with agiven step)
V-meter proofs no device response to what the application demands

Any idea what I missed out on?

<sorry if it is just basic but  I have noone to ask about it>

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(2,848 Views)

Did you import the MAX Configuration?  (I Hope you at least installed MAX and DAQmx along with the LabVIEW RTE)

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(2,845 Views)

I did install the device (and MAX came automaticallywith this installation)

DAQmx is installed as well)

I did not import the MAX configuration (firstly I did not know that you have to do that - I thought that all the information I need comes with the exe application; secondly - anyway I do not know how to do that)

Sorry but.. I am a total beginner with one application already written but not working

(it was a task given from my supervisir as a students project. however I get hardly any support from my school so I learn from the Internet resources and... Discussion Forums

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(2,832 Views)

Not a bad way to learn!  the forums have a lot of experience and knowledge to offer- the help files aren't too bad either!

From MAX select File>>Export configuration  (File>>Import Configuration on the target)

You can also add the hardware configuration to the build spec for the installer.  (The Help File gives specific directions)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(2,817 Views)