From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using Instrument I/O Assistant

trying to use Instrument I/O Assistant with my rs232 connection but i dosnt pick up a respone from my device can anyone help!!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,709 Views)
Ajb;

Note that RS232 can be very tricky at times, you have to get the cabling right as well as get the data transfer parameters (baud rate, stop bits, etc) all set correctly. Some instruments have very simple protocols, others are a major pain. Specifically, what is the device that you are trying to communicate with? Also, what version of LV are you using and what OS?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,708 Views)

I have writen the code running on the device. it sends a simple 15 bit message when an action is taken. i am using LV 7.0 on xp sp2. Instrument I/O Assistant just times out when it doing read and parse.!! all the setting are right not sure y it doesnt see the message

help!!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,704 Views)
Well it could be cabling, or something of that nature. Do you have access to a port monitor to make sure the data that is going out is the same as what you think is going out. Given this is a device that you built you could also check the data input pin on the interface (either pin 2 or 3 depending on whether it has a DTE or DCE interface) and see if the command is making it to the device. Even a scope would at least show whether anything was arriving at the device.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,703 Views)
The other thing to check is the termination character. Is the serial device expecting a CR or LF at the end of the command? Is there any other formatting of the command that is required or is it just ACSII text?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,696 Views)

Everything is working fine with the coms. i have check it in termial. all i want to do is have it sit there and wait for the message when in get one send it of and wait for the next time. I have got it working to some extent but if it dont get a swip in the timeout time it errors the code. see attached

http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/246328/1/labview%20photo1.JPG

Message Edited by Ajb181 on 05-08-2007 10:11 PM

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,697 Views)
Your message subject mentions the Instrument I/O Assistant but you are not using that in the program you posted. You are also using the VISA Configure Serial Port and VISA Close inside the loop and that's not quite correct. You should only call each function once and they should be outside the loop. I'm also going to assume that the serial device is appending a LF at the end of the data it transmits since that is how you have the VISA Configure Serial Port setup.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,689 Views)