LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

user.lib in LabVIEW NXG

I've been using LabVIEW for over a decade, but I'm just getting started in LabVIEW NXG.  In LabVIEW I make extensive use of the user.lib (please don't laugh too loud) that I have developed over the years, however, I've been unable to figure out how to get similar functionality in NXG.

I've found where I can make libraries.  But based on my understanding, I would have to manually add a "user.lib" to each and every project I do, and even then the contents of that library won't end up on the pallet.  Please tell me there is an easier way.

-Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,461 Views)

I haven't used LV NXG yet, but my strategy for libraries in LV Classic is to make them installable with VIPM.  Treat the "source" as any other LV Project - that is, keep them out of the user.lib.  Point the installer to install your library where you want it to go.

There's an additional advantage that it's very easy to create a palette menu for your library that doesn't have to line up with your physical tree.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this strategy ports to LV NXG well or not.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,421 Views)

Hi dr2,

There is an easier way in LabVIEW NXG. 

Once you have a library, you can create a custom palette from the library. From there, you can build a package/installer to install on your machine or other machine. When you install the package, it is registered with NIPM, where you manage the package similar to VIPM. See the below links for details:

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/application-builder/creating-custom-palette/

http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/labview/latest/application-builder/distributing-app-lib/

Addons.png

Thanks,
Frank

Message 3 of 4
(2,402 Views)

Forgive my non-software engineering ways, but that doesn't appear (on the surface) to be "easier" than simply dumping some VI's in a specific location and then LabVIEW picking it up and doing the rest of the work for me.

Does this mean that LabVIEW NXG has removed the user.lib functionality?  Does anyone know if that functionality is on the road map to be incorporated in a later release, or has it been axed completely?

-Dave

Message 4 of 4
(2,330 Views)