LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb 8451 SPI in Open Drain

Hi I have a USB 8451. 

Is it possible to run the SPI output in Open drain mode rather than Push Pull?

Thanks

Ceri

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,742 Views)

Hi Ceri.

My name is Mette Bertelsen and I'm an application engineer at NI.

Yes, it is possible. 

The driver type can be changed through a Property Node. This information can also be seen in the following KnowledgeBase article:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/789F3D731F481752862572C700635B52?OpenDocument

With this in place, we just need to add an external pull-up resistor as shown in Figure 3-3 on page 3-7 in the manual for the USB-8451. Seen on http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/371746d.pdf

Best Regards,

Mette Bertelsen

Application Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,707 Views)

I think that it's not possible to make SPI in Open Drain model, it is stated in the manual that the SPI driver type is push pull only, also I've tried to test this manually by applying pull up resistors to the VDD and change the driver type to open drain but as expected the MOSI output isn't following the VDD voltage but it is the push pull high voltage (please confirm and suggest a solution to fix this 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,171 Views)

Hi Omar,

SPI port cannot operate in open-drain mode as the PHY of the protocol required it to be Push-Pull, unlike I2C where it is required to be open-drain.

The knowledgebase article in this thread is to configure the DIO to be push-pull or open-drain.

If you require it to be open-drain to support different logic levels, better add external circuit to perform level shifting or go for 8452 which has couple of configurable IO levels.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 4
(1,164 Views)