LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unbalanced design of read / write datalog

I think there is an design issue with reading and writing datalog files. Since labview can't handle arrays of arrays the "read datalog" vi returns an array of clusters of arrays if the datatype of the datalog is an array and more than one dataset should be returned. That is, a single dataset can be an array and should be handled as such. The counter part vi "write datalog" accepts datasets of the type specified with "open datalog" and arrays of this datatype. But it does not accept arrays of clusters of arrays and labview can't handle arrays of arrays. Hence, the design of the datalog vi's is unbalanced. One can not write the result of "read datalog" back to the file using "write datalog". Surely there are ways to work around this flaw but fixing the design would be helpful and is easy to accomplish without breaking existing code.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,328 Views)

Why don't you use this method ? You're right, it could be better if the vi was polymorphic, but it's easy to find an alternative way :

I hope it can solve your problem.

V-F
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,317 Views)

Thanks for your suggestion ramses64. I know there are (easy but ugly) workarounds for my issue. All I wanted is to state that the design of the datalog API is unbalanced and that it would be nice and probably little effort to fix this in the next labview update. Maybe ni has a better place than the forum to do this, e.g. a bug reporting web application. If so, I haven't found it yet.

By the way, how do you create those nice diagram PNG-files?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,310 Views)

Hi,

1rst Point : you can post your ideas Here on the NI Idea Exchange

2nd point : in the diagram, you select what you want to include in the picture, EDIT menu=> Create a VI Snippet from selection, and it creates a .png.

The good point with this method is that when you drag and drop the .png file on the diagram, it generates the code associated, and you can run it !

best regards,

V-F
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,306 Views)