From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two version of LabVIEW installed. Unable to open older VI's with older LabVIEW

I currently have LabVIEW 6 and LabVIEW 8.5 installed on my PC running Windows XP. When I try to open an older VI via LabVIEW 6, I get the following error message:

An error occurred loading VI 'Global-file paths.vi' LabVIEW load error code 9: VI version (8.5) is newer than LabVIEW version (6.0).

I'm trying to open a (dll) file with LabVIEW 6. I recently upgraded the labVIEW version to 8.5, but now i'm unable to run the older VI's in either version of LabVIEW.

What should I do?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,027 Views)

That error is the classic "I opened a VI in a newer version and saved.  Oops.  I wanted to keep it in the newer version."  I would think you should still be able to open it in LabVIEW 8.5 though.  If you switch between versions a lot, you need to be very careful which version opens a VI.  I recommend having 1 version of LabVIEW open at a time and only try to open a VI when you have the right version opened.  Otherwise whatever version you used last will try to open the VI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,024 Views)

You CAN always restore the 6.i vis from your source code control repository can't you?

Spoiler
Oh boy I hope they have a source code repository-  that could get very ugly otherwise.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,008 Views)

I haven't made a source code control repository.

When I try opening the VI with LabVIEW 8.5 I get the following error:

Error Loading 'C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.5\vi.lib\lvdaq.dll" A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

When I try opening the VI with LabVIEW 6 I get The following error:

Sub-vi is not executable. The Error list then says that "Call Library Function: function not found in library. However when I get to the configure the library screen the Library Name or Path is correct. Attached is a screen shot.

What is the best way to approach this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,995 Views)
The error is not saying the path is incorrect. It is saying the function was not found. What version of the driver is installed? Try doing a repair or reinstall.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,992 Views)

If I choose to uninstall LabVIEW 8.5 leaving only LabVIEW 6, will the problem be fixed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(2,948 Views)

Have you tried reinstalling the traditional DAQ drivers? See also.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,938 Views)

Yes, i've reinstalled the traditional DAQ driver ( Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) 6.9.3) and I'm still having the same error.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,930 Views)

"The Problem" is thsat you saved the vi while editing it in LabVIEW .8.x  LabVIEW 6.i cannot possibly know what software from a decade into the future means.  Post your busted vis over to the version conversion board.  AND GET a repository set up.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,907 Views)