LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trouble adding Vi to llb in LV8

Hi all,

I have recently installed LV8, and am trying to update an old program (saved as an llb).  I want to add another llb with all of it's sub-vis, but I can't find how to do this.  The save with options from older versions ov LV seems to have been removed.  Any ideas?

Jim
Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,071 Views)

Hi Jim,

You can't nest LLBs inside of other LLBs, but you can add all of the VIs to to a llb.  In LabVIEW 8, go to Tools>>LLB Manager.  In the LLB Manager, click on the Open New LLB Manager button on the far right.  Then browse to one of your llbs in each window.  You can copy or move VIs from one LLB to the other.

I hope this helps!
Megan B.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,059 Views)

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your suggestion.  I had tried to use the LLB manager earlier, but got distracted by the fact that I could not browse the network to find the file I was looking for.  I got it to work as you suggested, but I first had to map the share drive.  Is there a way around having to map a share drive?

Thanks again,

Jim

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,052 Views)

Hey Jim,

While you can't browse to a network location in LabVIEW 8.0, you can type a network location directly into the combo box, or copy and paste a network path. You may want to consider learning about Source Distributions and projects. Open your top-level VI and choose File>>SaveAs>>Duplicate hierarchy. This will create a Source Distribution for you inside a project. Experiment with the settings until your Preview shows you what you want for your output.

Also, there may be a browse button in the LLB Manager in a not-too-distant release of LabVIEW.

Jonathan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,042 Views)

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the input.  Learning about projects is definitely on the to do list.  I'll give your suggestion a try.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,027 Views)

Megan and Jonathan,

Thanks for your help.  I have another question.  I see how to copy files into an LLB with the manager, but is there a way to get all of the sub vi's automatically?  We have a library of vi's that we commonly use, but we most of them have been developed and are being used in LV 6 or LV7.1 systems.  In previous versions I would just use "save with options" into an LLB and it would automatically copy all of the dependant files into the new program and I didn't have to worry about accidentally changing the version of a sub-sub VI.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jim

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,997 Views)

When I try adding new VI to an LLB i face error (see the image attached). Could someone tell me why this is happening?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,588 Views)