From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

too many connection, but I'm looking for 2 clusters

Solved!
Go to solution

I tried to make a "vast swath" of references into a single subvi and LabVIEW gave me this:

Untitled.png

My subvi would have 4 outputs: a string array, a cluster of control references, an error initialization, and a state-enum.  I'm not actually providing any explicit inputs.

So my question is: What are the 28 things that I (clearly) exceeded, if not the references?  Are there invisible things passed to the sub-vi, which I overwhelmed?  What is going on?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,882 Views)

Have you tried to create a subVI from the block diagram? - I assume you have done that to hit this error.

If so then this could be the problem. Every control/local used gets turned into a reference to a FP propertynode when creating a subVI.

Makes me assume a massive over use of Local variables here too, so you might want to look at your coding style too!

Best method would be to save the VI you want as the subVI name and delete all extra code you want to remove to avoid this error.

(Remember LabVIEW passes data through wires, and you can use a shift register to carry the wire round a loop).

- or is it simply that you didn't build the cluster/array of references and create an indicator before trying to create the subVI from a selection?

James

CLD; LabVIEW since 8.0, Currently have LabVIEW 2015 SP1, 2018SP1 & 2020 installed
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,877 Views)

>> you might want to look at your coding style

It is a good point.  I'm relatively immature in LabVIEW.  I can get it to work, but not with elegance, or even solid form.  In a "make it now, polish it later (but really never) work environment, I haven't had much chance to get good at the polish part."

>> remember the shift register

I love the shift register.  I put them to solid use in my event driven state machines.

>> massive overuse of local variables

Not local variables.  I do make references to the gui, but the components are non-negotiable.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,865 Views)

Put all of your references into clusters or arrays to make your life easier.  If nothing else, it helps sort your references.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 10
(2,860 Views)

Bundle up all references and use that cluster as input to your Subvi instead of individual inputs, it also clears up the diagram as you'll have 1 cluster instead.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,842 Views)

>>Put all of your references into clusters

I did it already.  The references are one of the clusters. 

My problem isn't that downstream isn't clean.  My problem is that when I put the "reference to cluster" into a "create vi" then it gives the error mentioned.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,835 Views)

You know, an attached VI (even one that gives massive errors) would make it so much easier to understand the problem and propose a solution, particularly for someone who is just learning LabVIEW and doesn't know all the "lingo" ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,826 Views)

@EngrStudent wrote:

>>Put all of your references into clusters

I did it already.  The references are one of the clusters. 

My problem isn't that downstream isn't clean.  My problem is that when I put the "reference to cluster" into a "create vi" then it gives the error mentioned.

You know, an attached VI (even one that gives massive errors) would make it so much easier to understand the problem and propose a solution, particularly for someone who is just learning LabVIEW and doesn't know all the "lingo" ...

Bob "A Picture is Worth a kilo-Word" Schor

Message 8 of 10
(2,824 Views)
Solution
Accepted by EngrStudent

@EngrStudent wrote:

My problem is that when I put the "reference to cluster" into a "create vi" then it gives the error mentioned.

Don't do that.  The bundle belongs where the references originate, not in a subVI.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 9 of 10
(2,816 Views)

Can't do it bob.  They would string me up by my short hairs.  It would be a "career limiting" behavior.

I wish I could.  I do such things as much as I can, and I drive y'all crazy with my "cartoon toy code", but it is what I can do.

-EngrStudent

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,730 Views)