LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timing performance in LabVIEW RT

I have a set of nested loops. The inner one needs to be externally clocked at 10MHz while the outer one at 250kHz. Are these speeds achievable using LabVIEW RT?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,340 Views)
I think the tightest read comute write loop you can pull off is about 40KHz.

That is using the top of the line RT controller.

Are you working with a system that requires that you respond in 100ns?

I think the fastest you can do reads with NI hardware is 10MHz.

Trying to help,

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,340 Views)
Thanks for your response. Let me explain my question a little clearer. The both 250kHz and 10Mhz clock signals will come externally from the timer on a DIO card. I'm wondering if LabVIEW RT can respond that fast.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,340 Views)
You should verify everything I say with NI but,
I bebelieve that given the appropriate hardware, LV RT can collect data at 10MHz and 250KHz, Yes.

But you can only expect the loop that is collecting the data to respond at 40KHz. This means that if your process will allow you to read 6-7 saples of the 250 Khz data and process the data in small chunks, LV RT is a good choice. Likewise for the 10MHz data.

LV RT will give you determinism, not speed. Think about it. A normal PC just has to keep the screen looking right to do its job. That is a refresh rate of 30-70Hz. LVRT will do about 40KHz deterministically.

Again I ask, does your proccess require you respond in 10 nsec?

Ben
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,340 Views)