From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time measurement between counter output my device and analog input

Hello!

I'm trying to measure the time to generate a digital pulse train on the counter output, that goes to a frequency converter that controls a motor.  So I think it'd be the best way to wire the output of the frequency converter with an analogue input and make a timestamp before I generate the pulse and a timestamp when I recognize the singal, but I think that wouldn't be a serious measurement :)?

What's the best way to measure the time?

kind regards peter
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,331 Views)

hi there

well, there a several ways to do this. the problem with the software - timestamps is the minimal resolution of 1ms. i'd suggest:

- wire a copy of the digital pulse train to an analog input channel
- wire a copy of the frequency converter to another analog input channel
- create an analog input task with the two channels (the sampling rate defines the timing resolution,make sure to acquire enough samples to see the response signal) 
- start this task
- send the digital pulse train

to optimize your acquisition you can use another copy of the digital pulse train as a start trigger for your analog acquisition.

-> then you'll see the digital pulse train on one of the analog channels and the frequency output on the other one. both channels have the same time axis with a resolution defined by your sampling rate (~us depending on your hardware). then you can analyze the data.

search the example finder for examples of how to create tasks and triggers.

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,329 Views)
hey chris,

thank you for your reply, but I have decided to prefer the oscilloscope and do the measurement without labview! I think that's the easier way 😉

Kind regards Peter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,323 Views)

yeah, that's surely correct!

but make sure that the device is stable and that the delay dosn't depend from the pulse train.

Best regards
chris

CL(A)Dly bending G-Force with LabVIEW

famous last words: "oh my god, it is full of stars!"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,320 Views)