From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text message to cell phone

Hi:

I have looked at several posts and was unable to find a solution to send text messages to any cell phone.  Can this be done? I have an application that monitors a condition and needs to send out a short text message to indicate an alarm.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(4,770 Views)
The thing is that every text messaging cell phone should have an email address, and LabView can certainly do emailing so yeah I think it's do-able . But please note that receving an emailed text message cost money while a phone to phone text usually is free to the receiver

Message Edited by slingee on 07-19-2006 12:29 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(4,757 Views)

Hi Slingee:

I am aware of the email option (previously discussed in the forums), and I tried sending a plain text email via LV to my cell phone (T-mobile).  It did not work.  However, when I send an email from my Outlook to the cell phone at XXXXXXXXXX@tmomail.net, it works. I hope there is a definitive solution to send text messages (free of cost) to any cell phone via LV.  By the way, I have LV 7.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(4,751 Views)
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 10:10:06 -0500, kmoorthy76107 put fingers to keyboard
and said:

> Hi:
>  
> I have looked at several posts and was unable to find a solution to send
> text messages to any cell phone.  Can this be done? I have an
> application that monitors a condition and needs to send out a short text
> message to indicate an alarm.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 
> Thanks

Does this help? Not labview specific, but I don't think it should be too
hard in labview if one can do it with hyperterm

http://www.developershome.com/sms/howToSendSMSFromPC.asp

If that's no help, there are lots of other websites that talk about SMS

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Bruce Bowler | Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore.
1.207.633.9600 | - Henry Ward Beecher
bbowler@bigelow.org |
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(4,746 Views)
It works for me with my T-Mobile phone with both Outlook and the SMTP Email Send Message VI. Is this the function you've tried and do you get any errors generated when you use it?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(4,738 Views)

Dennis:

I get the following error code:

Error 16550 occurred at SMTP:
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for 1234567890@tmomail.net

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0x40A6) 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable. For example, the mailbox was not found or there is no access.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(4,733 Views)
That is strange. It is fine sending messages to other addresses? ie. some normal computer based address
Could you send a message to a gmail or a yahoo mail or hotmail ?
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(4,727 Views)

Dennis:

I get the following error code:

Error 16550 occurred at SMTP:
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for 1234567890@tmomail.net

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  (Hex 0x40A6) 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable. For example, the mailbox was not found or there is no access.

Attached:  Snapshot of the block diagram and front panel

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(4,725 Views)

Slingee: I am able to send email to other addresses (my work address) via the SMTP VI.  It works fine... just can't send to my cell phone.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,717 Views)
I would try to send a messaage to an external address. This could be caused by mail server configuration.

When I was in school, I could telnet into the mail server and send mail, as long as the address was on campus... it didn't allow me to relay to an external mail system.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 16
(4,713 Views)