Did you mean: 

tenney chamber controll

Can any one tell me what's the command to control Tenney Chamber through GPIB
in Labview?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(6,725 Views)

I am trying to connect Tenney Environmental with VersaTenn III controller. I set up the connection parameters as follows: baud rate 9600, data bits 7, odd parity, stop bits 1, flow control Xon/Xoff. but when i try using the command

"? A1H" or "? SP1" it wont give any output. Is there anything i am missing? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(6,401 Views)
You should first try using a serial communication program outside of LabVIEW. If you're on Windows, use HyperTerminal. You should do this to verify you have your communication settings set up properly and you have the proper cable, and you are using the correct commands. If you've done this, then it's time to look at the LabVIEW code. You should start with the shipping LabVIEW examples, such as the Basic Serial Write and Read.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(6,396 Views)

Hi,

I haven't used labVIEW. All i was trying to connect my PC to the controller that we have which is versatenn III via hyperterminal. I also verified connection settings, its says, Baud Rate: 9600, Data bits: 7, parity: odd, stop bits: 1, protocol: Xon/Xoff. I used RS232 cable to connect to the controller. I tested RS232 cable and its working fine.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(6,375 Views)

Are you using the correct type of serial cable? Does the manual specify null-modem or straight through?

Since you are not using LabVIEW, if you continue to have problems, you need to contact the vendor.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 10-28-2009 08:02 AM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(6,367 Views)
You should also check the documentation for your device to see if it requires a null modem connection or a straight cable connection.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(6,360 Views)

i am having same issue here, im using a gpib...

when i send the command like ? SP1, or any query command except from *idn?, i got

CONTROLLER COMM TIMEOUT

can somebody share info?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(6,308 Views)
can somebody, help us out here.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(6,280 Views)

This is well over a year after the last post and I do hope that you guys have solved this, but I have a solution that should be posted here that would have helped me fix this a few weeks ago.

We have a Tenney chamber with a Versatenn III controller and I was constantly getting "CONTROLLER COMM TIMEOUT" messages any time I would attempt to connect with the controller. This message would be sent back over all 3 communication methods ( GPIB, RS232, and Ethernet)

After digging into how this system actually works I found that this typically is a Versatenn III setup issue, not the controlling PC.

First, open up the access panel that the Versatenn III is mounted in, if there is a circuit card attatched to the Controller that your GPIB, RS232 and Ethernet also connects to we're in business.

This is a Synergy488 communications card that acts as a translator between the Versatenn III controller and a PC. This card accepts commands from either GPIB, RS232, or Ethernet. To connect to this card using RS232 set your computers com1 settings to:

BAUD = 19200,

data bits = 8

stop bits = 1

parity = none

flow control = none

Be sure to use a straight through cable, a null modem cable will not work.

Hyperterminal works fine with these settings, use *IDN? to verify communication to the Synergy488 card.

If you're using GPIB, MAX will see the card and allow you to communicate. Some of you have been able to get the *IDN? querey to work.

Now that commuications with the Synergy488 card works, it's time to fix the CONTROLLER COMM TIMEOUT message.

On the Versatenn III, manually go to "SETUP", "SPECIAL FUNCTIONS" and set the VT3’s serial port parameters to these values: Baud to 9600, Data to 7O (7 bits data, Odd parity), COM to XON (Protocol = Xon/Xoff), and Log to NO. Data logging will disrupt communications.

communications with VT3 controller.

Commands sent to the controller should now work. Test is by sending "? C1" and you should get the temperature displayed on the VT3. The commands for this guy are a little wierd. For example; to set the temprature setpoint you must send "= SP1 xxxx" where xxxx is the temperature desired.

Tidal Engineering's program "SimpleComm" works great for manually sending commands since this is the same group that built the communication card. The manuals for "Linktenn32" and "Synergy488"  is where I found the information.

Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec!
Message 9 of 15
(5,858 Views)

I would also like to add the tech who originally set up our chamber didn't verify communications. We have the data sheet that has handwritten notes of the VT3 settings and he incorrectly set the special functions BAUD, and COMM. They were left to the default settings and must be changed if the chamber uses the Synergy card to communicate.

Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec!
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(5,839 Views)