From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tdms does not support complex numbers?

I can see that I can create and manipulate complex waveforms in Labview, but when I try to save such a waveform in a TDMS file, I get a run-time error that data format is not supported, forcing me to split the complex waveform into two separate waveforms for saving.

Also, when I send a complex waveform to a Waveform Graph indicator, it truncates the imaginary part.

Are there any plans to add native support for complex numbers in TDMS and graphing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,453 Views)

@Fedor wrote:

I can see that I can create and manipulate complex waveforms in Labview, but when I try to save such a waveform in a TDMS file, I get a run-time error that data format is not supported, forcing me to split the complex waveform into two separate waveforms for saving.

That's correct. TDMS does not support complex values.

Also, when I send a complex waveform to a Waveform Graph indicator, it truncates the imaginary part.

That's also correct. Think about it. What would you plot on a waveform graph? You could use something like an XY graph, with X being the real values and Y being the imaginary values. Or, you could use a polar plot (available as a picture indicator plot).

Are there any plans to add native support for complex numbers in TDMS and graphing?

If you wish to make a suggestion regarding this, then you can post in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange, where people can vote on the idea. You may need to submit this as two different ideas since it's covering two different components.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,446 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

@Fedor wrote:

That's also correct. Think about it. What would you plot on a waveform graph? You could use something like an XY graph, with X being the real values and Y being the imaginary values. Or, you could use a polar plot (available as a picture indicator plot).

I guess, since it's a Waveform Graph, plot two traces, Re and Im, as a function of time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,428 Views)