LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

subVI label greyed out

Dear all,

i did build a custom subVI. I use it at different places of my main VI and I want to label those identical subVIs according to their different purposes. However, if i try Properties -> Appearence -> Label, the label string is greyed out and I cannot edit it.

Does anyon knows how i can enable this label string? having 10 SubVIs with the same label doesnt make it easier 🙂

Thanks in advance.

best,

luffi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,318 Views)

Use free labels.  If you have 2013 or newer, you can "attach" a free label to any node.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,310 Views)

The label is given by the filename of the subVI. Anything else would just confuse.

Hide the label and use diagram comments as already suggested.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,299 Views)

Would there be a solution for the 2012 SP1 version? My company uses this one. When cleaning up the craph, the free labels lose their icons and become meaningless.

>>The label is given by the filename of the subVI. Anything else would just confuse.

I really am not an experienced labview user, but isnt it two quite different things, filname and label? especially for graphical representation?

I am seting up a DAQ-VI for some experiment, with about 40 signals to be read and processed. until i attach the actual hardware, i "simulate" the Signals with a custom made random generator sub-VI for each signal. now, to me it seems more confusing having them all displayed as "custom_random_generator.vi" instead of "signal1", "signal2",...

btw, why are my sub-VIs treated differently than any function (or control or  where i can easily manipulate the label?

thanks for advice!

best,

-luffi

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,239 Views)

Hi luffi,

you really want to use this subVI in 40 places? Why not use a loop and just one instance of your RandomGenerator?

- Labels are names given at editing time. Controls/indicators are identified by their label (very simplified scheme). subVIs are loaded by their label aka filename (simplified scheme). With controls/indicators you can use the caption to give instances "user friendly" names, subVIs don't allow this. I would be irritated when the same subVI will have different names in the BD… (When you call functions in text based programming languages the function name also is the same with every call!)

- to keep comments with your VI you could draw a sequence frame around both. It's a quick & dirty workaround…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,237 Views)

>>you really want to use this subVI in 40 places?

i intended to replace the random generators by the appropriate physical devices once the facility is set up. they are just "mock ups". to me it seemd natural to have independent generators, as the signals have different characteristics that i could implement that way. but i see your point 🙂

the sequence frames indeed keep the labels & icons together, thanks. but they add so much messiness to the already existing mess 😄

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,227 Views)