LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state machine template labview 2014

Hello,

does anyone know if the state machine template that was available as a template in versions of labview prior to 2014 is still available in labview 2014 and if so how can I locate it. The newer template is more complicated with event structures which makes it less convenient when presenting the topic to someone else for the first time. 

Thanks - Jean-Michel Maarek

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,850 Views)

Is it really that more complicated?  The concepts are all still there.  So there is an event structure in one of the states.  Almost all of my state machines will have an event structure for this very reason: to check for user interactions.  It is a much better example and one that runs as is.  Turn on the highlight execution and run it.  It will be pretty self explanatory from there.

But all of the examples and templates got a massive overhaul with LabVIEW 2013.  If you really wanted, you could find a copy of LabVIEW 2012 and figure out the location of the template.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,829 Views)

What exactly is it about the template that you're unable to modify yourself if you're unhappy with the provided code?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,803 Views)

For clarification, I have no problem with the current template. The older template that used only a while loop and a case structure was easier to present when teaching this topic. Events are traditionally introduced after while loops and case structures in all labview tutorials. Once you start telling novices, there is a template, but you need to change it, the template becomes less useful. This is not an issue with more advanced learners.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,798 Views)

State machines are also taught after while loops and case structures.

What prevents you from teaching in the following order: case structure, while loop, events, state machine?

Then you don't need to revisit state machines after the events lesson to point out they also make sense in a state machine.  I've seen posts here that think event structures violate state machines.  Using this method, you'd avoid having the same problem with your students.

Message 5 of 6
(2,792 Views)

Fair enough! thank you for the suggestion.

Message 6 of 6
(2,784 Views)