LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

state diagram from block diagram

I have a simple vi. code that i already built but i need to generate a state diagram from the code.  Is there any way i can convert from a block diagram to a state diagram?  I have a report to write up for class and doing the state diagram take to long and time is something i dont have.  Is there any special tools that i can use to create the state diagram from the block diagram?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,233 Views)

NI sells the state diagram toolkit which allows you to create a state diagram and from there, you can generate the program. I think it also allows you to go modify the state diagram if you modify the VI but I'm not sure about that since I have never used the toolkit. If you already have a VI, I'm pretty certain you can't just get the toolkit and then create a state diagram.

A pretty good tool for creating state diagrams is Microsoft Visio.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,217 Views)
I used visio before, it's good but i was wondering if there anyway i can cheat some time doing the state diagram.  I have 3 week left with 4 different project to do and not enough time to do them all so i was hoping that there is a way to do the state diagram from the block diagram.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,214 Views)

State diagram tool kit works very well.  It will set up all your case structures to move from state to state.  You have to add the code in the right places.

Correct it automatically modifies the state diagram if you modify the VI and vise versa -allows you to go modify the state diagram if you modify the VI but I'm not sure about that since I have never used the toolkit.

Correct - If you already have a VI, I'm pretty certain you can't just get the toolkit and then create a state diagram.

Correct, Visio works well - A pretty good tool for creating state diagrams is Microsoft Visio.

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,186 Views)
The state diagram editor is a handy tool, "Ben" talks about it on numerous occasions in other threads. It won't create a state diagram from an existing diagram, in fact if you make certain edits to the diagram it creates it will "disconnnect" from the state diagram. So, unfortunately, it sounds like a sketch pad, draw it by hand, then do it nicely in Visio or one of the other ones like it.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

Message 5 of 8
(3,179 Views)
Thanks for everyone help, i guess i will have to do it the hard way.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,153 Views)
Hi

as everyone else said Visio is good.

Have you checked out the  NI thread example ?

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3024

xseadog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,128 Views)

Whoooooo,

If it is simple (< 12 states) I can throw it togeher for you.

Matt

Matthew Fitzsimons

Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW 6.1 ... 2013, LVOOP, GOOP, TestStand, DAQ, and Vison
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,116 Views)