From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startup crash LV 2009 SP1 (bug?)

This has happened a few times, but today was the worst. Frequently I'll get the "LabVIEW encountered an error ... would you like to investigate?". Frequently (at least once a week) LV won't even start up and I get the "LabVIEW encountered an error and needs to shut down". The only workaround from that - until today - was to restart the computer. Today I could not get LV to startup at all. The only way I was able to get LV to startup was, in a moment of serendipity (or dumb luck) I double-clicked my project icon on my desktop. LV started up. I exited LV and tried to restart and it came up fine. Smiley Indifferent

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,954 Views)

Hello PaulG,

What OS are you on? It appears it isn't isolated to a particular VI of yours but just in LabVIEW in general. However, if this crash occurs specifically to a VI, please post it so we can try duplicating your issue. 

Also, when prompted "LabVIEW encountered an error.." I would recommend selecting the option that allows you to investigate now which should provide directions to send the error log to National Instruments in which it could be further investigated.

Regards,
Glenn
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,919 Views)

Not sure it is for the same reason, but I encountered this problem early on after upgrading to SP1 on Windows XP.

It disappeared after I changed a few OS settings such as:

System Properties>>Performance>>Visual Effects>>Let Windows choose what's best for my computer

System Properties>>Performance>>Advanced>>Processor scheduling>>Programs

System Properties>>Performance>>Advanced>>Memory usage>>Programs

HTH,

X.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,913 Views)

It appears to have something to do with corrupt paths in the labview.ini file. If I rename/delete my labview.ini file it boots up OK. As I get more information I'll post it. Is there a bug reported for this? This is almost certainly a bug.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,899 Views)

Update: verified that it's a problem in the labview.ini file. But I'm not bothering to file a bug report. It's version 2009 and doubt much will be done about it and I won't waste my time. I'll just use this workaround.

PaulG.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,830 Views)

Just want to confirm that this workaround helped me out as well. Same symptom: LV2009 crash at startup, repeatable every time. I went through and cleared some of the paths out (especially some that were no longer important), and now LV2009 starts up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,607 Views)