From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

splitting arrays

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone!!!

I have a problem: I have a huge 1D array and I need to split it in to sets of 8 elements as need to compare these 8 elements with another  1 D array of size 8. is this possible?

Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(4,538 Views)

Try the Decimate 1 D array.  Read the help to see if it does what you want.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(4,535 Views)
use the split 1-D array function in the functions palette
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(4,532 Views)
Hello again.. But the size of my 1D array can be unknown and I wouldn't know how many sets of 8 I would have 2 divide it in to. What will  I pass in to the index input of the split 1D array function?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(4,523 Views)

Two straightforward ways (among others):

• Run a for-loop based (size of your array)/8 and then inside the loop use Array Subset to get each chunk of 8 elements. The comparison is done inside the loop.
  • Use Reshape Array to reshape your 1D array into a 2D array that has 8 columns. The number of rows would be (size of your array)/8. Then auto-index a for-loop to pull off each row. The comparison is done inside the loop.

Is the input array guaranteed to have a length that is a multiple of 8? If it's not, what are you supposed to do?
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 05-07-2009 09:01 PM
Message 5 of 23
(4,515 Views)
use a for-loop
Harold Timmis
htimmis@fit.edu
Orlando,Fl
*Kudos always welcome:)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(4,512 Views)
 Yes the input array is a multiple of 8. thanks for the suggestions. ill give it a go:)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 23
(4,503 Views)

Still think decimating would be easier, but that's JMHO.

Here's why: (Assume N pts)

Decimate (add outputs until you have 8 outputs total).

Now, the outputs will be 8 size N/8 arrays.

Next, concatenate them back together.  Now you have a 2-D (8 x N/8) array.

Transpose it if you need it the other way around, and you're done.

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

Message 8 of 23
(4,490 Views)
True, but using Reshape Array allows you to do the same thing without having to hard-code the dimensions (i.e., the size of the Decimate and Build Array functions). The inputs to Reshape Array can be calculated using Array Size and the Quotient & Remainder function. More scalable. Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 23
(4,450 Views)

Hello smercurio,

I am usind the Array subset to split my huge 1D array in to chunks of 8. But I am unsure as to what to pass in to the index input of the Array subset function. When I put it in a for loop, the index continuously changes. So what do I input?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 23
(4,429 Views)