LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

special character by double backslash code

I would like to express the range of number by using ± (ascii: 0177, hex: B1) in string function.

But I can show the character backslash code, "\A1\BE" instead of "\B1" such in string format.

I cannot find the explanation regarding usuage of double backslash in LabVIEW.

What is the format of double backslash in a string format and how to find the correct code(A1BE) in a string table?

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(831 Views)

Right click on a String Control or Constant and select “Enable ‘\’ code display” or something to that extend. Now when you enter a backslash, the LabVIEW string object will consider it as escape character. You can either follow it with a lower case letter r, n, t, s       for the carriage return, newline, tab or space character specifically, another \ to mean the backslash character itself  or by a hex number indicating the 8-bot ASCI code.

If you use a recent LabVIEW version it is recommended to also right click on the object and “Enable the Display Style glyph” or however that is called. It shows a little glyph at the left border indicating the current display style which is very helpful when you don’t use the standard display mode.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(794 Views)

Thank you, but your answer is out of topic to my question.

labmaster.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(761 Views)

@labmaster wrote:

Thank you, but your answer is out of topic to my question.

labmaster.

Then please explain yourself more clearly. Double backslash character in the programming languages I know (various variants of C which LabVIEW adapted too) has a meaning that makes no sense in respect to your explanation. So please explain what programming language or standard you are coming from where your initial problem was refering to.

What codepage/country setting is your computer configured for? Only specific Windows codepages around 1253 to 1255 contain this character at position 0xB1. The UTF-8 encoding would be \xc2\xb1 but this is irrelevant for LabVIEW since LabVIEW on Windows uses the codepage system and Windows doesn’t officially support UTF-8 as codepage setting.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(753 Views)