LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

source distribution vs shared libraries

We're working with LabVIEW and TestStand.  I'm creating a project (in LV) so we can ultimately distribute our code to the end user, but at the same time, we're still developing.  The top-level VIs are called by several TestStand sequences.  When we deliver, we do not want our source code visible to the users.  It is possible, but very unlikely, that we would have to debug our sw in the field, as we have a duplicate test station here.  With this in mind ...

1) Does anyone have a recommendation of whether to use a "Source Distribution" vs "Shared Libraries"

2) It seems that with the source distribution, I can "remove block diagrams" and therefore hide my code.  Also, (in development) I can still call my VIs, as normal, from TestStand, without having to reference a DLL, or unlock the VI every time.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,273 Views)

After some experimentation, I found that the "Remove Block Diagram" option of the Source Distribution really does 'remove' and not just 'disable'.  I don't think this is what I want.  Without the block diagram, TestStand won't be able to properly call these VIs from it's sequence files, correct?

What I really want is a Source Distribution where the block diagram is disabled, or basically, un-viewable by the operator.  Is a DLL my only option, if I don't want to lock or password-protect each VI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,258 Views)

I guess if the option disabled block diagrams, it would be called Dosable Block Diagrams and not Remove Block Diagrams.Smiley Wink

VIs with the diagrams removed can be called in the same way as a VI with the diagram or with the diagram password protected.

If you want to be able to debug the VIs in the field or locally, you need VIs with block diagrams. You would need a place to have the original VIs if you distribute VIs without block diagrams or if you distribute VIs built into dlls.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,245 Views)

So, the block diagram goes away ONLY on the VI placed in the folder specified by the distribution, correct?  Out of curiousity, how does the VI run without the block diagram?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,241 Views)