From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sound analysis

Hi Everyone, I have one microphone, cDAQ-9181, NI-9234 Module, NI sound and vibration toolkit.

I'm new to sound analysis.

I'm testing the sound analysis of the electric oven by putting a microphone inside the electric oven.

After I turn on the electric oven, I intend to measure the sound level within the electric oven.

If the sound level is in spec, the oven is "OK", If the sound level is out of spec, the oven is "FAIL".

By the way, I found that the electric oven is not soundproof. it's semi-soundproof.

During the test is progress, When I clapped my hands outdoors, the dB Level(amplitude) of the 1/3 octave analysis graph change a lot in all frequency range(20Hz ~ 20kHz).

When I clapped  my hands, the external loud noise level exceed the sound level within the oven.

Here, I have a question.

Is it possible to do the sound analysis of an electric oven under the external loud noise environment?

Aditionally, Is it possible to remove the noise like "clapping my hands"?

Thank you in advance...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,854 Views)

Hi fredik,

Is it possible to do the sound analysis of an electric oven under the external loud noise environment?

What's the purpose of a sound measurement when it is influenced by external noise?

Usually people use special labs for sound measurements…

Aditionally, Is it possible to remove the noise like "clapping my hands"?

Have you ever heard of "noise cancelling"?

It works like this: you put an additional mic outside of your DUT to measure external noise. Then you apply a filter on that noise signal (to handle phase shifts and filtering due to the DUT itself) and subtract it from the sound measured inside the DUT…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,805 Views)

GerdW, Thanks for your fast reply...

I have never heard of the "noise cancelling", but it's very interesting.

That's a good idea...

I will try it... Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,795 Views)