LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

small runtime engine for newer labview versions?

Solved!
Go to solution

A few times in the past I have created simple LabVIEW standalone executibles.  I did this in 8.6 and used the runtime engine minimal installer instead of the full version.  This resulted in an installation package size of 30-35 Meg.  

I agin need to create a simple executible but have not seen a minimum runtime installer for any LabVIEW version since 8.6 

Are there any minimal runtimes for other versions? 

The default 2014 runtime is 264 Meg!!!  It is hard to explain to a customer why a simple "Hello World" program requires a 200+ Meg download.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,960 Views)

I don't remember exactly when it happened (2011?), but you can include only parts of the RTE in your installer.  It is in the Additional Installers section of the installer build specification window.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,953 Views)
And point out to customers the size of the .NET runtime.
Message 3 of 14
(4,946 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chiraldude

Jack Dunaway has documented a way of segmenting the run time engine, basically only including the pieces of it you need.

https://connect.wirebirdlabs.com/knowledgebase/articles/172999-segmenting-the-run-time-engine

And here is an idea exchange item on it.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Segment-the-LabVIEW-Run-Time-Engine-RTE-to-ONLY-Necess...

Message 4 of 14
(4,928 Views)

Of course, most everybody has the .net stuff already installed.  If they do have to install it, I can blame Microsoft.

Really though it is a matter of not installing stuff that is not needed and the fact that OCD tendencies compell me to shrink the runtime "because I can".

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,907 Views)

Cool, this looks like exactly what I am looking for!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,903 Views)

@chiraldude wrote:

Thanks

What does?  Just marking your own posts as solutions?  Give credit to those who helped you with Kudos and marked solutions.  You really should not be marking your own posts as the solution.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,889 Views)

@chiraldude wrote:

Thanks

Does it? Because your actions don't reflect your words.  Marking a post as a solution is telling others that that particular post is what answered your question.  Giving kudos to a post is telling others that you find their post helpful.  

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-40451

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,881 Views)

This forum, (like the runtimes in this topic) is bloated and full of "eye candy".  It is not clear which credit box goes with which item.  I was just as surprised as you when I recieved an instant email from the forum saying I had accepted my own solution.  

Message 9 of 14
(4,870 Views)

It highlights the header of the message.

You can unmark your messages as the solution by going to the options menu to the upper right of your messages.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,864 Views)