LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal express tektronix

I'm using Labview signal express tektronix edition and connecting my tektronix tds3054B to it by ethernet. When I typed in my oscilloscope ip address to the program, it can't acquire for the signal. I think I have all the required driver and VISA. Here is the error that it gave when I tried to connect:

Error -1073807298 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in tek_subTek3kScopeInitializeData.vi->tek_Tek3kScopeInvokeCommand.vi:1
Possible reason(s):

Primary Error: (Hex 0xBFFF003E) Could not perform operation because of I/O error.
Elaboration: Attribute: TKDS30XX_ATTR_SLEW_DELTA_TIME

Any idea how to solve this error?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,050 Views)

Hi UVA,

Could you provide what version of NI-VISA you have installed?  Also, what type of ethernet cable are you using?  I have attached a link to a KnowledgeBase article that explains the difference between a standard category 5 ethernet cable and a crossover ethernet cable.  Is the instrument out on a network, or are you connecting it directly to your computer?  Also, I have attached a link to a tutorial that can help you get started with communicating with your Tektronix instrument from LabVIEW Signal Express Tektronix Edition.  I hope this helps!  Have a great day!

KnowledgeBase 2K1AIUGU: What are the Differences Between a Standard Category 5 Ethernet Cable and a ...

Getting Started with LabVIEW SignalExpress Tektronix Edition 

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,012 Views)

Thank you for the reply. I've used a standard ethernet cord connected to a hub. My NI-VISA version is 5.0.3. I followed the steps you gave me in the link but it still didn't work. Is there anything I still need to do?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,995 Views)

Hi UVA,

I hope you are doing well today!  Can you see the instrument listed under Devices and Interfaces in Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX)?  If so, are you able to communicate successfully with the instrument from within MAX?  Also, if you could post any relevant screenshots, that could help us troubleshoot as well.  Thanks, have a great day!

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,981 Views)

Hi,

I can see my instrument listed under MAX so that means I can communicate successfully. However, when I ran the Signal Express Tektronix edition, I cannot see the signal on my computer. I have posted screenshots I think they might be useful.  When I clicked run, the program is just "waiting for trigger" but I can't see anything on dataview. Maybe I set up the trigger wrong? Please let me know if there is anything I should try.

Tek4.png

Tek1.png

Tek2.png

Tek3.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,972 Views)

Hi UVA,

I hope you had a good weekend!  It sounds like your data acquisition is never receiving a trigger.  Could you provide more information about your current setup?  Are you wanting the data acquisition to begin right when you click Run from Signal Express, or are you wanting it to be triggered in some way?  Also, are you still seeing the error mentioned in your original post?  Thanks, UVA.  Have a great day!

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,948 Views)

Hi Taylor,

Thank you for replying. My current setup is that I connect my oscilloscope to the hub using ethernet cord and obtain IP address. Then I use my computer and open the Signal Express Tektronix edition to view the signal from oscilloscope. Also, I'd like the data acquisition to start collect data right after I click "Run".

For the error, sometimes I still got the same error, sometimes it went through. However, when it went through, it's waiting for the trigger forever. If you have any suggestion and anything I should try, please let me know.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,930 Views)

Hi UVA,

Can you set the Trigger type to <None> or Immediate?  If you are not actually triggering the device with an external signal, having the trigger set to an Edge trigger will never actually begin the acquisition.  Also, could you provide screenshots of the rest of your configuration for the task?  Thanks, UVA!  Have a great day!  

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,912 Views)

Hi Taylor,

I've attached more pictures of my setup. I tried to change the trigger type from "edge" to "immediate" like you suggested last time but there is no option to choose. For now, I just want to set a trigger to some value and detect any signal that is greater than that. Could you explain me how to set up the trigger?

Thank you,

tek_trigger.pngtek_horizontal.pngtek_vertical.png

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,901 Views)

Hi UVA,

Thanks for the update.  In following the steps that are in the Getting Started with LabVIEW SignalExpress Tektronix Edition for connecting and controlling an ethernet instrument, which begin on page 3-7, are you still not able to see any data?  Also, within MAX, can you communicate with the instrument using the VISA Test Panel?  You should be able to send a *IDN? command to see if initial communication has, in fact, been made.  If so, this command should return the device identifier information. 

Also, what sort of signal do you have connected to the instrument?  Is it a known signal, and if so, what sort of amplitude and frequency are you attempting to read?  Thanks!

Taylor G.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,875 Views)