From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared variable write on change

I have a basic question about the SVE that I have not found a clear answer to yet in any documentation or white paper:

What triggers the the data transfer across the network from a shared variable engine to a client? 

1.The actual "read" operation in the block diagram of the client app

2. a new value written to the variable on the SVE

3. a 10ms timer? 

I am trying to avoid un-necessary bandwidth usage on a network and I am very interested in finding out just what triggers a network transfer when using PSP and the shared variable engine.  For instance, does the rate at which I read a shared variable in a client app have any effect on network transfer of the data? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,343 Views)

Hi Garvacious,

see this link http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4679 under Figure 8.

Mike

Message 2 of 4
(2,340 Views)
Thanks Mike, I have read that document before.  It seems to imply that even if there is no change to a variable's value, that there will still be a network transfer of the data after 10ms.  However, it seems kind of silly and inefficient for the engine to keep transferring "stale" data over a network when there are no reads or writes going on.  So I'm still looking for an answer to this question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,316 Views)

Garvacious,

To answer your question(s). The Shared Variable Engine (SVE) does not transmit data across the network unless the client requests it, but the SVE does update on the server side everytime a value is changed on a shared variable. The 10ms buffer that is talked in the article that Mike linked explains how the SVE writes/reads the Shared Variables at a controlled speed to optimize network throughput. 

Let me know if that helped clear things up any!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ben Sisney
FlexRIO V&V Engineer
National Instruments
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,308 Views)